Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Tips for removing cat to header bolts? 2012 GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 06:38 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Tips for removing cat to header bolts? 2012 GT

On Sunday I tried unsuccessfully to remove my cats and mid-pipe to replace with catless x-pipe. The car was on a lift and we soaked the cat to header bolts with P'Blaster. I was working with some friends, and we tried to get the outside passenger side bolt first. I was trying from the top-side with extensions. I even broke a swivel when I was trying to use a breaker bar, and the bolt wouldn't budge.

Does anyone have any advice for getting these bolts out? Did you put heat on them to help loosen them?

The next plan is to remove the strut tower brace and maybe even battery so that I can be positioned more on top of the bolt, hopefully with a few less extensions. The car is in the garage for at least a week because of crappy weather so I will soak the bolts with P'Blaster everyday for a few days so that it can soak in.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:15 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Took me about an hour to get it myself. Me and a buddy used a 1/2" breaker bar, 2.5' extender, swivel socket and then the socket. I removed the battery on my car and strut bar, when we did my buddies we didn't have to and it was quicker.

I slowly lowered it down from the top of the engine bay, and he was under to guide it on the the nut, after is was on jus take your time. This is the only way I think it could be done. I have done it on 2 vehicles personally and I was the wrenc turner. Let me know if this helps
Old 02-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

a good quality impact swivel should do the trick.
http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/09.../photo-19.html
i use theese for work,

idk if there is any room to heat the bolt up a bit with a torch?

let us know how you did it
Old 02-05-2014, 07:42 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I stripped the nut on the passenger side while the drivers side came off real easy. I paid a muffler shop $40 to remove what was left of the passenger side nut and from there it wasn't bad at all. Just make sure you use a 6pt socket and get it seated really well. I was alone and in hindsight an extra pair of hands under the car would've been really helpful. Just to make sure the socket is fully seated on the nut.

I don't think there is enough room to get any real heat on it. The muffler shop didn't bother with that either.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys. It sounds like we were on the right track. We'll get a stronger swivel and try it again. I'll let you know how we make out.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:28 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Speaking of 6 point, my buddy was neve able to get the socket flush on the nut. Kinda got it stuck lol. Definitely good once it is off, my bolts now face down. Patience is key lol. Standing by for the update!
Old 03-08-2014, 05:23 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Good news! Got some more time on a buddies lift today and we successfully removed the mid-pipe! It only took us 3-4 hours and another broken tool. 1/2" Drive and impact swivels are a must. We got 1 bolt off on each side from the top. Then the 2nd passenger side bolt we removed the wheel and went from the side. It was a bad angle but it came off with 1/2" impact. The other driver's side bolt was easy from underneath.

The car sounds WICKED now. BBK Cat Delete + BBK Mid-pipe + Flowmaster Outlaw Axlebacks. It will wake the dead and the tone is perfect.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:03 PM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

You have a similar set up to mine. I am pretty much straight piped and it is absurd and I love it! Did you still have resonators?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:53 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowbra302
You have a similar set up to mine. I am pretty much straight piped and it is absurd and I love it! Did you still have resonators?
Yeah, I left the resonators. I also have a pair of GT500 mufflers that I won't end up using because I like the sound with the flowmasters. I think it drones less with the x-pipe than with just the axle back. Don't get me wrong, it is loud but a lot of that horrible drone has gone away in the 1800-2000 RPM range.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 AM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

Interested in selling those GT500 mufflers? I am in the market for a pair.

PM me if you're interested in selling them.

Quick Reply: Tips for removing cat to header bolts? 2012 GT