Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

A/C Compressor issues, need advice ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM
BlueThunder88

Default A/C Compressor issues, need advice ASAP

Hey guys, so my A/C compressor on my 2011 GT went bye bye and I need to get it replaced ASAP (I live in FL and it's getting close to summer time). I took it to a few shops and they all quoted me in the ball park of $1,500 for parts and labor. I was wondering would I be better off finding the part myself then getting it installed? I don't really have 1500 to dish out and I have no knowledge of A/C repair on the vehicle. I also heard that running the car with a bad compressor can eventually harm the serpentine belt. Any advice or insight on the matter would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-14-2014, 02:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

a 2011 should still be under warranty?

A bad compressor can ruin more than a serpentine belt. It can destroy the entire A/C system depending on what is actually failing. If it's the compressor impeller assembly, that will send shards of crap and dust throughout the A/C system. It's known as the 'Ford Black death' http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/15/

Anyways, If it has already failed, I wouldn't touch it, let a shop fix it, they can flush all of the crap out of the system instead of just replacing parts and leaving that crap in there. Any crap left in the system will just cause premature failure of the new parts and also reduce cooling efficiency.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:13 PM
BlueThunder88

I thought it would be under warranty but the guy was saying that it is only good for 36,000 miles. I have 60,000 on mine
Old 04-16-2014, 01:55 AM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

You'll need the compressor and receiver drier for sure. Depending on how bad the compressor is,you may need to have the lines and condenser flushed also.

Most newer cars can pickup when the compressor is faulty and will not engage the clutch to prevent the compressor eating itself alive. Not sure if ford has this technology so when the lines are removed they will need to be inspected for metal shavings.

Obviously you'll need refrigerant and compressor oil also.

If you supply the parts to a shop, don't expect any kind of warranty.
If the shop supplies the parts you should get a year/12k mile warranty .

I would not recommend doing it yourself if you have no ac knowledge. The system will need to be evacuated before removing anything.

How do you know it's the ac compressor and not the expansion valve or a pressure switch?

If the compressor pulley has any play then it's only a matter if time before it grenades so be careful.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I work at a shop and am very knowledgable on the ac systems
Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM
nightshadow23

It is out of warranty, the AC system is only covered under the bumper to bumper which is 36/36000 miles. You should quote at least 2 reputable shops. My mom's honda just had a compressor failure, they installed a new compressor and flushed the system for $900, so $1500 doesn't sound crazy. But check just to be sure.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:38 PM
BlueThunder88

Thanks for the input everyone. Yes I had the local tires plus shop and Pep Boys look at it and both said it was the compressor. Tires plus quoted me at 1500 and Pep Boys told me to take it to the dealership to have it looked at. Only problem is the dealership wants to charge me 90 bucks just to tell me something that I already know. Maybe I should look into taking it to a local smaller shop?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:24 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The dealer (like most places) will put that $90 diagnostic towards the repair if you opt to let them do the repairs.

$1500 is on par with what I would expect.

What you need to make certain of is what that includes?

It should include, NEW (not rebuilt) compressor and clutch assembly, NEW receiver/dryer, NEW orifice tube and a complete A/C system flush and refill. Don't accept any remaned parts. At 1500 that all new parts. I'd expect 1100 for rebuilt.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:56 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Take it to a small independent shop. They are more likely to negotiate on price and you'll get a better job done over a huge corporate owned shop.
I work at a very reputable shop in ca and we are always told that they would rather bring their car to us than to the steeler.
I've seen quick lube places attempt to do repairs and butcher them.

Look for a local shop on yelp. That's where most of our customers find us
Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Slowbra302
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Lethaldosage423
Take it to a small independent shop. They are more likely to negotiate on price and you'll get a better job done over a huge corporate owned shop.
I work at a very reputable shop in ca and we are always told that they would rather bring their car to us than to the steeler.
I've seen quick lube places attempt to do repairs and butcher them.

Look for a local shop on yelp. That's where most of our customers find us
Not the thread jack, but what shop do you work at? Merely curious as I havnt found a shop that I am comfortable with other than a drive train shop.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Lethaldosage423
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Slowbra302
Not the thread jack, but what shop do you work at? Merely curious as I havnt found a shop that I am comfortable with other than a drive train shop.
Village European Auto.
We specialize in BMW, Mercedes, Audi, VW, etc..but we work on pretty much eveything.
From Aston Martins to old Toyotas.

Here is our yelp page
http://www.yelp.com/biz/village-european-auto-fallbrook