Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Breaking supercharger belts at high Rpms

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 04:37 PM
QuentinBenac

Default Breaking supercharger belts at high Rpms

So I recently installed a 2.3 whipple kit on my '13 5.0. I ordered a custom tune from Lund and started cruising around town datalogging and everything seemed fine. When I got to the first WOT datalog I ripped 2 ribs off the supercharger belt around 7000rpms. I swapped the belt thinking maybe the first belt was bad and I re-ground down every boss on the timing cover flush. Put it all together and I ripped half the ribs off another one (6rib) around 7000rpms again first pull. I assume I have an alignment issue? Any ideas? Everything looks good no obvious rubbing the only thing that looks a bit off is the belt doesn't sit perfectly flush on one idler near the blower pulley. Blower pulley kind of seems like it has to come toward bumper to line up?. I tried loosening bolts on blower to try and pull it forward but there is no play in the bolt holes. First blower install hopefully I didn't n00b something

Thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have you tried to contact whomever you bought the kit from or Whipple themselves? I would assume they would most easily be able to tell you what you need to do since they have probably seen that issue before... Any misalignment will cause you shred belts.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:11 AM
QuentinBenac

Yeah I did. The problem is that the Ford Racing kit has Ford Racing parts..... with Roush brackets and parts.... and a whipple blower... whipple tells me to go to Ford Racing, Ford Racing tells me to go to Whipple and Roush made a few boxed suggestions. Never again will I go Ford Racing it'll be straight from Whipple. Bit of a nightmare! :/

Last edited by QuentinBenac; 06-13-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by QuentinBenac
Yeah I did. The problem is that the Ford Racing kit has Ford Racing parts..... with Roush brackets and parts.... and a whipple blower... whipple tells me to go to Ford Racing, Ford Racing tells me to go to Whipple and Roush made a few boxed suggestions. Never again will I go Ford Racing it'll be straight from Whipple. Bit of a nightmare! :/
Hmm... may have to go to a local tuner shop and see what they suggest. Is there any space left on the shaft of the supercharger pulley to bring it forward the needed amount? The pulley's are made to be pressed on/off so if there is enough shaft left on the blower you could bring it forward a tad get it better aligned.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:04 AM
QuentinBenac

Bring it forward as in shimming or spacing it? I made a few washers at work that should fit between the hub and pulley to space me out if needed. I think I'm going to pull all the brackets and belt off then use a meter stick to see if I'm my pullies are aligned. The only ribbed and lipped pulley I introduced on this belt is the supercharger so I'm assuming that's the issue. I didn't touch the ac compressor pulley or crank pulley. The rest are just idlers with no ribs or lips on the edges hence no belt control so I wouldn't assume they're messing my alignment.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 AM
QuentinBenac

Small town "local" tuner is 4 hours away! Haha
Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Bring it forward as in shimming or spacing it? I made a few washers at work that should fit between the hub and pulley to space me out if needed. I think I'm going to pull all the brackets and belt off then use a meter stick to see if I'm my pullies are aligned. The only ribbed and lipped pulley I introduced on this belt is the supercharger so I'm assuming that's the issue. I didn't touch the ac compressor pulley or crank pulley. The rest are just idlers with no ribs or lips on the edges hence no belt control so I wouldn't assume they're messing my alignment.
I hadn't realized that the pulleys were bolted on the Whipple's, that makes it easy.

yes, go to the local hardware store and find some very thin washers to let you space out the pulley the needed amount. If you have to space them out more than a couple MM I would probably get some slightly longer bolts to so that bolts still have the same amount of thread depth into the shaft.

Looks like that's what Whipple recommends too, shimming/spacing - Old thread and not the same vehicle but same problem.. Middle of the page on the first page, the Whipple rep recommends shims. They offer 0.25 shims but I'm sure you can also make your own with washers.

http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/sh...-wrecking-belt .

These instructions from another whipple supplier also mentions a stepped spacer but it's specifically for the idler. Don't know if Whipple supplies that or if the supplier does?
http://www.lethalperformance.com/dow...eva1r8_low.pdf

Last edited by Derf00; 06-14-2017 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:09 AM
QuentinBenac

Awesome! I'll take a look thank you!
Old 06-27-2017, 09:49 PM
QuentinBenac

Well, I shimmed the hell out of the supercharger pulley... and voila. Belt lines up on all idlers and I can bang it off 7000+rpm no problem haha. I'd say it was about 5mm off!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Well, I shimmed the hell out of the supercharger pulley... and voila. Belt lines up on all idlers and I can bang it off 7000+rpm no problem haha. I'd say it was about 5mm off!
Glad to hear that resolved it. Did you get new bolts too or were they long enough to handle the 5mm reach?