Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

does a tune on these cars make the exhaust a little louder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Default does a tune on these cars make the exhaust a little louder?

I don't mean a big difference like removing the cats or installing straight through mufflers but still a noticeable difference?

Really getting the itch to buy **** for the car and I don't dislike the stock exhaust, but just wish it had a little more growl. For the price of axle backs I could get a tune instead and actually improve seat of the pants feel.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:54 AM
P51C
2nd Gear Member

Not substantively. Almost everyone drops the stock mufflers and adds a tune later but, no, there is no meaningful change in engine note from the tune itself.

You could cut out the resos and weld in 3" straight pipe for more growl or do cat deletes. Be careful as it's tough to quiet exhaust that's too loud, once you've done it.

The tune really enhances the experience a lot and I'd do that, if it was a choice. I did GT500s myself for mufflers but, back then, I got them for $260 for the set, new but, prices have gone up a lot since then. Thus it wasn't a big deal to do tune and mufflers at roughly the same time.