AmericanMuscle.com Premier store carries over 1000 Mustang parts and accessories. Features the largest mustang wheel selection available and offers free mount and balance with tire purchases. Committed to expert customer support, great prices and fast, free shipping!

Black Acorn lugnuts rusting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 04:34 PM
mustang0672
4th Gear Member

Default Black Acorn lugnuts rusting?

Just put the wheels/tires and lugs on 4-5 months ago and these are already rusting? The wheels are cleaned each weekend so...Here are some pictures. This car is a show car or else I wouldn't care.

Old 01-16-2012, 04:26 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Hey, Trent!

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with your lugnuts. Can you please PM me the order number from that order? If you don't have that specific number, send me your latest order number or email address and I can find you that way.

Once I have that I'll get a replacement set sent out to ya. We don't want a badass 'Stang such as yours to be getting deductions at shows because of our lugnuts.

Let me know, I'd be happy you help you out personally! Have a great night!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Chris,
Is this a common problem? I have the same lugnuts for mine that I havent installed yet. Do I need to look out for rust?

Thanks,
Matthew
Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Matt's 95 Stang
Chris,
Is this a common problem? I have the same lugnuts for mine that I havent installed yet. Do I need to look out for rust?

Thanks,
Matthew
I have the black acorn nuts also and they have rust on them. I think its a universal issue with those nuts.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:30 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Chris,

Thanks,
Matthew
Matthew,

This problem seems to occur only on vehicles exposed to salt regularly. Whether in the air from being near the ocean or on the ground from being applied to the road for grip during unseasonable weather, salt and oxygen are going to oxidize all metal materials. What Trent pictured above is not rust, but rather oxidation. It's not corrosive, although it does affect the look of the lug-nuts.

If you live near the ocean and/or in an area where salt may be applied to the road, you would be wise to clear-coat your lug-nuts. Applying a regular auto clear-coat to the lug-nuts will prevent the salt from getting to the aluminum and oxidizing it. This is the best way to prevent oxidation of metal/aluminum.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions in the future. Have a great night!

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 01-18-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

Originally Posted by AMChrisYoung
Matthew,

This problem seems to occur only on vehicles exposed to salt regularly. Whether in the air from being near the ocean or on the ground from being applied to the road for grip during unseasonable weather, salt and oxygen are going oxidize all metal materials. What Trent pictured above is not rust, but rather oxidation. It's not corrosive, although it does affect the look of the lug-nuts.

If you live near the ocean and/or in an area where salt may be applied to the road, you would be wise to clear-coat your lug-nuts. Applying a regular auto clear-coat to the lug-nuts will prevent the salt from getting to the aluminum and oxidizing it. This is the best way to prevent oxidation of metal/aluminum.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions in the future. Have a great night!
Yet another reason I buy from AM first!

Thanks Chris,
Matthew
Old 01-18-2012, 03:52 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Yet another reason I buy from AM first!

Thanks Chris,
Matthew

My pleasure, Matthew! Glad to be of assistance!

Please free to PM me directly if you have any questions in the future!