Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Battery draining

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Fourtwozero

Default Battery draining

I have a 1984 2.3L stang, and for some reason my battery is draining when it sits in the driveway. It will take about 14 hours or so to fully drain. What could be the possable reasons for this?
Old 03-18-2004, 06:32 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Battery draining

you probably have a ground... the cars so old that it might be anywhere... good, quick, temp solution? pull the neg terminal when you're done.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 PM
Fourtwozero

what do you mean, a ground?
Old 03-19-2004, 12:47 AM
callmecobra
5th Gear Member

what you need to do is get a test light, and check every fuse, and see what is using power when the car is turned off
Old 03-19-2004, 12:48 AM
Ftr-Speedy
2nd Gear Member

check your glovebox, if it has a light possible the light aint goin out, dome light maybe, i think he means u have a bad ground, ground are the wires that are screwed bolted on to the engine/chassis/metal of ne sort.
Old 03-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ftr-Speedy

check your glovebox, if it has a light possible the light aint goin out, dome light maybe, i think he means u have a bad ground, ground are the wires that are screwed bolted on to the engine/chassis/metal of ne sort.
yup, sorry... should have been more elaborative...

The major problem wires are those that give an uninterupted path from chassis to postive causing a loop of uninterupted energy until all the energy has been lost due to resistance.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Fourtwozero

ORIGINAL: 100th96cobra

what you need to do is get a test light, and check every fuse, and see what is using power when the car is turned off

i just finished doing this, i conected the battery, and with the door open (thats the only way to be able to pull the fuses since the box is to the bottom left of the steering wheel) i did the test. Here is everything that had power...

1. Windshield wipers
2. Emergency flash to pass (whatever that is)
3. Mirror/fog lamps
4. stop lamps
5. horn

and thats all, so what does that tell you?

p.s. thanks to everyone who has replied to this so far, and to everyone that will in the future. I am trying to save money by doing this myself,(im only 18 and make about 600 a month) and learning alot at the same time.
Old 03-20-2004, 09:55 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Fourtwozero

ORIGINAL: 100th96cobra

i just finished doing this, i conected the battery, and with the door open (thats the only way to be able to pull the fuses since the box is to the bottom left of the steering wheel) i did the test. Here is everything that had power...

1. Windshield wipers
2. Emergency flash to pass (whatever that is)
3. Mirror/fog lamps
4. stop lamps
5. horn

and thats all, so what does that tell you?

p.s. thanks to everyone who has replied to this so far, and to everyone that will in the future. I am trying to save money by doing this myself,(im only 18 and make about 600 a month) and learning alot at the same time.
2, 4, and 5 should have continuous power... the others shouldn't... I would think that if the fog lights were aftermarket they could be hotwired... so I would look at your windshield wipers as your culprit.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Ftr-Speedy
2nd Gear Member

first thing - if it was the wipers, then wouldn't they be going?
second thing - aint it nething with a on/off switch should have constant power to the switch thru the fuse?
idk no much bout electrical shiz, but most times then not for me it has been sometin pretty dang obvious. but thats me
Old 03-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

just because it has power doesn't mean that its going to work or run... registering power is just a sign that there is a postive signal. From what I understand about windsheidl wipers... they should only be powered when the vehicle is in ACC or RUN.

Although I could be wrong... that is always a possibility...

Quick Reply: Battery draining