Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

What subs/amp/headunit to replace shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 PM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Default What subs/amp/headunit to replace shaker 500

I'm not very sophisticated when it comes to audio components, so I thought I would take a shot here. I went to sound advice and didn't see anything appealing whatsoever considering that there was not much of a choice. So.... I want to put a new headunit in along with an amp and either one or two 12"s and stay around $800 max. I want a good looking headunit and want quality and good quality punch from the bass.

Please help me out guys!

Jeff
Old 06-23-2006, 06:39 PM
SaleenBuyer
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What subs/amp/headunit to replace shaker 500

Jeff,

Here's what I'm considering.

Pioneer Avic D2 head unit with navigation system included.
JL XR series 3 way for the front speakers
JL XR series 5x7's for the back
JL Amp (unsure of the model number) to power both sets of speakers

Tweeter gave me an estimate of about $3,800 installed for this gear. You can go cheaper on the head unit to save money. The pioneer unit is $1,300+ alone.

If you do have a Tweeter store near you pop in and take a listen. Compare the JL XRs to the Focals. You may prefer the brighter soundstage of the Focal set of speakers.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

ORIGINAL: SaleenBuyer

Jeff,

Here's what I'm considering.

Pioneer Avic D2 head unit with navigation system included.
JL XR series 3 way for the front speakers
JL XR series 5x7's for the back
JL Amp (unsure of the model number) to power both sets of speakers

Tweeter gave me an estimate of about $3,800 installed for this gear. You can go cheaper on the head unit to save money. The pioneer unit is $1,300+ alone.

If you do have a Tweeter store near you pop in and take a listen. Compare the JL XRs to the Focals. You may prefer the brighter soundstage of the Focal set of speakers.
Please never refer anyone to an overpirced "bargain" store.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 PM
SaleenBuyer
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hisss04Cobra
Please never refer anyone to an overpirced "bargain" store.
Fair enough and a good warning. But please understand that Tweeter actually has the systems in place to listen to. I find it a good starting ground. You can then shop for price elsewhere. They quoted me $3,800 which as soon as you do some shopping around you find is 15-20% over what you can find online.

If you order parts blind online you may end up with Focals instead of the JL XR's and hate the brighter soundstage. That's worse than paying too much imo.

edit: Note I did not say I bought from Tweeter nor did I say to buy from Tweeter. I said what they quoted me and that you can go there to listen to the systems. It is up to each consumer to research prices.
Old 06-24-2006, 05:12 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Oh my....! $3800 for that stuff??? Installed or not, that is way too much. $800 for two 12"s, a head unit, and an amp might be a little low there. Im sure you can get something but you would be much happier to save a little longer and pay a little more for something of quality.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:43 AM
blackout
5th Gear Member

Well that's why I said or one 12, because of the pricing. Just a 12" sub w/ box, amp, and headunit. I was quoted $420 for JBL amp/JBL sub w/ box but it was a pos unit... I might become a little more leniant on the spending price but would rather not so I can continue on making my car faster.

I guess i'm just going to keep looking around for a decent deal, because i'll probably have trouble finding a good looking headunit to fit in with the interior of the stang IMO.

If anyone else has any opinions on what to order, that would be great.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 06-24-2006, 07:52 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

JL Audio and MB Quartz both sound great in the Mustang. You really cant go wrong with either one. JL makes durable subs and I would use the MB Quartz for mids and highs. It will cost you a little but the sound quality cannot be beat. JL also does not require a huge enclosure to produce the high DB's and clarity. Thats my two cents
Old 06-24-2006, 08:04 AM
Hisss04Cobra
says hiththth

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp

JL Audio and MB Quartz both sound great in the Mustang. You really cant go wrong with either one. JL makes durable subs and I would use the MB Quartz for mids and highs. It will cost you a little but the sound quality cannot be beat. JL also does not require a huge enclosure to produce the high DB's and clarity. Thats my two cents
I say nay-nay
Old 06-24-2006, 08:25 AM
ccord
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hisss04Cobra

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp

I say nay-nay
Why dont you make some suggestions of your own instead of bashing what others suggest
Old 06-24-2006, 08:45 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

You just have to ignore posts like that. Unfortunately, some people just cant help themselves.

Hey SaleenBuyer, keep in mind that speaker boxes can add a lot of weight to your ride. So, when considering your subs, go for something with clarity and that requires a small enclosure. Good luck with your sound system!

Quick Reply: What subs/amp/headunit to replace shaker 500