Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

03 GT Mach 460 need to replace speakers. Do I need to replace amps too?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 06:32 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default 03 GT Mach 460 need to replace speakers. Do I need to replace amps too?

Ok, I dont know anything about audio first off. I have a 03 GT with the Mach 460 I beleive, its a 6cd in dash head unit, with 6x8 speakers front and rear with tweeters near the side view mirrors. I have looked at previous posts but I cant find the answer I am looking for.

My passenger front speaker is blown, I bought a cheap $15 speaker thinking it would be fine but it just rattles past half volume. I went to an audio store and the guy there said I cant run any aftermarket speakers unless I want to get a new head unit, re-wire the speakers and get new amps and new speakers. WTF? Is he serious? I would like to keep this as cheap as possible, I just want to buy new speakers for the front. I found some 6x8 infinity speakers for $100 and the second pair 50% off. I want to get those, will they work? The guy at the audio store says if you try and use aftermarket speakers I will just damage the speakers, or the amps or the headunit. What should I do??? I need some advice, If I need to get a new amp what kind? I really like the headunit, I dont want to change that. Please I need advice. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 PM
cobracharmer

Default RE: 03 GT Mach 460 need to replace speakers. Do I need to replace amps too?

it`s a workable deal.if the amp is 2ohm stable.
and it work for awhile if it`s not.
or you can run them in series,keeping them 4ohm,2 left and 2 right.
to do them in series run the +of the amp to the+ on 1 speaker and the - of that speaker the + on the other speaker and the - of that speaker to the - on the amp.that is 1 chanel in series.
so the choice is yours, essentially you get what you pay for. I wouldnt run my speakers without seperate amps front and rear
Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 PM
cobracharmer

Default RE: 03 GT Mach 460 need to replace speakers. Do I need to replace amps too?

if you want the best possible quality from the system, you should concentrate on the front speakers.6x8 speakers sound like a good deal, what brand are you comparing?Imaging and sound stage are compromised if you have the main speakers behind you. For that reason, most people amp the fronts and leave the rears on head unit power if you only have 2 channels of amp available. Also you can use one that has an internal voltage divider. Good luck
Old 12-21-2006, 10:26 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Holy ****... I didnt understand really anything you were talking about... lol. I appreciate your help so much. But I am a dumb *** when it comes to car audio. Do you know of a link to idiots guide to car audio? Your getting way ahead of me. Everything in my car is stock. I dont know what the amps are in my car, I havent even looked at them. What do you think would be a good setup for my car? Should I just replace the stock 6x8 up front with these? http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rFAXbRY...mp;I=1086812CF
My only concern is will it work? And since I already have a tweeter near the side mirrors will having a tweeter on the 6x8 make the sound quality worse? Or should I just go ahead and buy a component speaker set? like this or something similar to it.. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-rFAXbRY...mp;I=1085010CS
Some guy that I talked to at the audio store said I will deffinitly need to replace the stock amps if I went with component speakers. I think everyone is full of **** and just wants to sell me as much as possible. I love music so sound quality is pretty important to me. I am leaning towards the component set.

Any opinions, suggestions? Anyone know of a link to educate myself on this topic and how to wire up a amp speaker setup? Thanks alot!!
Old 12-22-2006, 12:56 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

aftermarket speakers do not like to play on factory amps as they have different impedence(ohms) ratings. Do you know how many ohms the old speakers were? It is normally written on the back of the speaker with an ohmega sign next to it. Working with themach system is not really all that bad. Page 2 of my signature shows how I integrated an apline deck into it.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

It doesnt say on the speaker, just a serial number. I am starting to understand this 2 ohm 4 ohm amp stuff, did some research. I am going to go with component speakers. I just need to know if they will work off the stock wiring and amp. Or will it require re-wiring and a new amp? Thanks
Old 12-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

You cannot run aftermarket speakers with the stock headunit or amps without getting bad distortion. The salesman wasnt lying to you. The stock system is designed so it will only work with the stock equipment. Its because the amps use a different type of ground than a normal setup. The ground is not like a normal chassis ground. If you want to have aftermarket speakers you MUST get an aftermarket CD player and bypass the stock amps. Thats the only way it will sound good. You can find decent newer CD players at the pawn shops for like 50 bucks. Thats what I did and it was worth every penny. Then you go and get some aftermarket wire to completely hook up everything. Maybe around 50 ft., but it only costs like 15cents a foot. Then run your wire directly from the back of the CD player, under the carpet, and to the speakers. Total cost shouldnt be more than $65-100 bucks to redo the entire system if you already have speakers. Youll get clean sound and no more of that speaker rattle/distortion.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:49 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I found these specs on the amps in my car...

Ford Hi/Mid-Pass Amp - 2x60w = 120w Max. 2x30w = 60w Nom.
Ford Mid/Low-Pass Amp - 2x85w = 170w Max. 2x43.5w = 85w Nom.
230w / 13v = 17.7 amps Nom. 4 Ohms at 2% THD
460w / 13v = 35.4 amps Max. 4 Ohms at 2% THD

http://www.flemworld.com/Mach460/Mach.html

So this means I cant just replace the speakers, I have to wire them in series?
Old 12-23-2006, 12:45 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Sure you are not thinking about the old common ground set ups that was used in the 80's? You can get a speaker to play on the factory amp if you can match the impedence of the factory speaker. Use an ohm meter to check the speaker to see what you have. You may need to do some re-wiring to match the ohm load but it could work. It would be easeir to replace the deck and the speakers, but not necessarily cheaper....

ORIGINAL: Frostbitten

You cannot run aftermarket speakers with the stock headunit or amps without getting bad distortion. The salesman wasnt lying to you. The stock system is designed so it will only work with the stock equipment. Its because the amps use a different type of ground than a normal setup. The ground is not like a normal chassis ground. If you want to have aftermarket speakers you MUST get an aftermarket CD player and bypass the stock amps. Thats the only way it will sound good. You can find decent newer CD players at the pawn shops for like 50 bucks. Thats what I did and it was worth every penny. Then you go and get some aftermarket wire to completely hook up everything. Maybe around 50 ft., but it only costs like 15cents a foot. Then run your wire directly from the back of the CD player, under the carpet, and to the speakers. Total cost shouldnt be more than $65-100 bucks to redo the entire system if you already have speakers. Youll get clean sound and no more of that speaker rattle/distortion.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

I emailed Crutchfield.com with this question and he responded....

"I will be happy to help with your question on replacing the speakers in your Mustang. There is no problem replacing just the speakers. However, if the factory radio is replaced, the factory amps will need to be replaced. Here is a link to all the speakers that will fit in your Ford: http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rsemc171/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=400"

Thats what I thought some people at those car audio stores are idiots... Well thought I would let you guys know.. Unless you have experiences with this and say otherwise.. Thanks.