Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HELP please!! 99 stang audio

Old 10-04-2004, 08:47 PM
Grog
1st Gear Member

Default HELP please!! 99 stang audio

OK, here's the deal. I'm trying to replace the head unit in my 1999 stang. It seems I have the 'premium' (NOT mach 460 system) with am/fm/cassette in one unit and CD player in the other spot. There is a very small amp with this system (underneath the cd player) that I want to bypass totally. The problem is that the color coded speaker wires from the head unit match up to the color coded speaker wires going INTO the amp. The OUTPUT speaker wires FROM the amp are a totally different color scheme. So my problem is that I don't know how to match up the head unit speaker wires to the wires from the amp going to the speakers themselves. Has anyone bypassed this amp in this way and how did you know which wires to connect???????? I'd really hate to rerun new speaker wires when they are already there.....

ANY help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:59 PM
CrazyCarAudio

Default RE: HELP please!! 99 stang audio

In order to figure out which wires do what you'll need a test light ($5 at Auto Zone) and a 9 volt battery for a speaker popper. First with the test light connect one end to ground and test the harness going into the amp for the following wires in this order...

Constant - (Always shows power. Only one with power when car is off)
Accesory - (Shows power when key is in "Acc" position.)
Illumination - (Shows power when parking or head lights are on, turn parking lights on and off to test for this.
Ground - (Best bet is to get your own by tapping any metal part of the body.)

To get the speaker wires wicch are coming out of the amp you need to "pop" the speaker to test for it, attach two pieces of wire about 6" long each to both the + and - side of the battery. You test for the speakers one by one in any order. Attach the - wire to any wire in the harness and tap the + wire on the other wires untill one speaker "pops". If a speaker pops, you have + and - for one speaker. If the cone of the speaker pushes out when you pop it, you have the polarity correct also, otherwise just reverse it. Do this for all four speakers.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:52 AM
Grog
1st Gear Member

Thanks Crazy! This will help with figuring out what wires go to each speaker. Considering the polarity, is there any way other than watching the cone when it 'pops' to tell if it's correct or not? I was hoping not to have to get access to the speakers. If this is the only way, can anybody walk me through getting access to the speakers, both front and rear? Also, I have a convertible. Thanks!!!!!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:32 PM
CrazyCarAudio

The rear speakers should be visable from the trunk, just have someone else watch when you pop them. If you can't see the door speakers through the grills, the door panel can be removed by first removing the panel with your window switches on in, disconnect the clip, and there should also be two small philips head screws behind it. Remove the push pin in the lower right corner (close to the kick panel). Pop off the small black triangle piece above the panel in the upper right corner. Finally lift up on the door and pull it off.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Grog
1st Gear Member

Thanks for your help 'Crazy'. I got my new head unit in and it sounds great. Much appreciated!