Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

HID balast mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 10:40 PM
Zero 16X
2nd Gear Member

Default HID balast mount?

Where is a good spot to mount my ballast for my HID kit on my 97
Old 07-06-2007, 12:04 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: HID balast mount?

pass seat.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:54 PM
Zero 16X
2nd Gear Member

theres not enough wiring to do that it needs to be about a foot and a half from the headlight
Old 07-06-2007, 05:00 PM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

Do you have any pictures, i would be happy to help but do not know exactly what you are talking about? IS the ballast a transformer? Is it weatherproof? Is there a wiring harness? If so, can it be split opened and the wires extended?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:37 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

oh dear god the blind leading the blind........

I was kidding about the pass seat since you are obviously limited to where you can put it by the length of the wires. I know after dickin around with my fog lights over the last couple of weeks that there is alot of room around there but you may not want it that close to the ground depending on how wet of a climate you live in. As when mounting any electronics you need to find a place that is clean, dry and vibration free that is clear of any moving parts or hot parts. If you find this perfect place in the car please let me know as the manfacturers as well as the DIY'ers have been looking for it for decades. You will need to balance all of these and find the best spot.

ORIGINAL: ghstintheshell

Do you have any pictures, i would be happy to help but do not know exactly what you are talking about? IS the ballast a transformer? Is it weatherproof? Is there a wiring harness? If so, can it be split opened and the wires extended?
Old 07-07-2007, 12:08 AM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

wow, your kind of an a$$ arent you? Get off your high horse. Im trying to help the person, you throwing out insults doesn't help the situation.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:02 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I covered this in my other post, so please read that before reading this oryou might think my note here is a little harsh. I did not insult you in my last post but this one is still early....

"Do you have any pictures, i would be happy to help but do not know exactly what you are talking about? IS the ballast a transformer? Is it weatherproof? Is there a wiring harness? If so, can it be split opened and the wires extended?"

Now read that and tell me again what experience you bring to help this guy out? You have no idea what the ballast is or what it does, let alone what the requirements are for mounting it? I have been installing for a long time and seen what an over anxious person that has no idea what he(it it typically male)is doing can do with a little bit of bad info. I have fixed countless systems and cars that were put in "by a freind that know stuff" while taking crap from that customer that it should not cost that much to put it in.

I know electronics and stereos and have no clue on engines. You do not see me giving advise on the 5.0 section on how to tune an engine or even how to do a simple oil change even though I own a 5.0 and have done it once on my own.

I understand that you want to help but you need to pick the posts that you have experience in and help the ones you can. A little bit of bad info can cause a whole world of hurt.........

Can't we all be friends?

ORIGINAL: ghstintheshell

wow, your kind of an a$$ arent you? Get off your high horse. Im trying to help the person, you throwing out insults doesn't help the situation.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:11 AM
ghstintheshell
1st Gear Member

i will never give advice on something I am unsure without asking questions, but referring back to the original post, there just isnt enough information. I was trying to find out more. Assuming it is the same type of ballast used in other types of lighting, it isa transformer and needs to be mounted in a cool, dry place. seeing as how it is for a HID, it may be a difficult as you have said earlier. Im learning along the way, please be patient. Expierence can be relative to the application....no doubt about that.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:02 AM
laserred38
5th Gear Member

Anyways........................

I have a 2000 but the engine bay layout is basically the same. I also have a Bi-Xenon kit so I have 4 ballasts, but you can put them in the same place. I decided against drilling to mount my ballasts because there really isn't a good spot to mount 4 ballasts. I also though about building some kind of mounting rack (like an amp rack for ballasts lol) but decided against this too because there wasn't enough slack in the wiring harness that I was provided. SO, I mounted the two passenger side ones side-by-side underneath the intake filter. There is a mount where the stock air box screws into, but with the ballasts there it can no longer use that. This is okay though because this isn't the only thing holding the airbox in. I mounted the driver's side ones in front of the battery, stacked on top of each other and wedged in between the soft padding of the battery and the haedlight panel. I used the provided double-sided tape and my own zip ties to keep them in place. There are a lot of other wires that you can zip tie the ballasts to (mine had for holes in the built-in mounting plate...and it came with self-tapping screws if you wanted to go the more permanent mounting route...and I used these holes to loop the zip-ties through). Both sets are rock solid where they are mounted and the wiring is JUST long enough so they aren't stretched. Hope this helps. I don't have any pictures. I can take some in a few days if you like. I'm working all weekend and Monday so, possibly Tuesday.