Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How do you get speaker wires from inside car to doors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 04:08 PM
auraaura

Default How do you get speaker wires from inside car to doors?

In a '07 model. Anybody got any hints? I've threaded my new speaker wire through the accordian/boot thingy that attaches to the front of the door but I can't figure out a way to get the new wires through the side of the car into the inside of the car. The only opening is completely plugged with the wiring harness/boot thing that all the other wires run through. I'd drill a hole and use a rubber grommet but I'd have to take the fooking door off to get a drill to where it needs to be to drill a hole. I'm got a new 200 watt/channel Profile amp and refuse to use those dinky 16 gauge factory speaker wires.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:10 PM
luckydawg003
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How do you get speaker wires from inside car to doors?

Please tell me your kidding. You don't need to upgrade your speaker wires for that dinky 200 watt amp. Trust me. Just use the factory wires and you will be fine. But if you intent on running new wires you have to remove the boot and run the wires thru it with the rest of the wires. Thats what its their for...to protect the wires in the door. Otherwise your wires will get pinched and cut.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:07 PM
auraaura

Soooo, you think the factory wires are big enough?? I was thinking they'd be waay to small?? Anybody else got an opinion? I'm kind of a newbee at car stereo installation.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:16 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: auraaura

Soooo, you think the factory wires are big enough?? I was thinking they'd be waay to small?? Anybody else got an opinion? I'm kind of a newbee at car stereo installation.
factory wires can handle 500 watts. and them some.
Old 08-27-2007, 11:22 PM
auraaura

Well cool. That'll sure save some work!
Old 08-27-2007, 11:37 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

You dont need to upgrade your wires until you upgrade your speakers.

Thats like getting a DSS block and leaving everything else on your motor stock.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:56 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Although you don't have to upgrade the wire you can still squeeze a little more power to the speakers using larger gauge speaker wire.

I'm not sure what gauge you have stock, butI would never trust the stock wiring in any of my vehicles to 500 watts. That sounds like a heat short waiting to happen...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:47 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

running wires through the door jam is always a pita. sometimes if there is a blank section in the boot hrns you can drill through it but otherwise the only way to really do it right is to remove the door and make new holes.

I would use the factory wire and call it a day. Make sure there is no premium system that may cause problems but you should be fine.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Ultimeas
3rd Gear Member

Well, if the door grommets are anything like the 99-04s, you can just straighten out a coat hanger, tape the ends of the wires to it, and just kind of force-feed it to the other side (aka inside the door).

It might take awhile to get it down at first, but after about 15 minutes you can usually get it through the first or second time.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:11 PM
auraaura

I'm installing Boston Acoustics SL60 speakers. Using a Profile AP1200 amp that has 200 watts RMS/channel. I just going to use the factory wires and see how it works. It's that or take the doors off and I'm NOT going to do that. Or maybe run speaker wires through the front fenders, under the hood and through the boot that I put the amp cable through. Naaa, waay too much trouble.

Quick Reply: How do you get speaker wires from inside car to doors?