Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Crappy components

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:47 AM
forgotten
1st Gear Member

Default Crappy components

I was at my local Electronics Express wasting time, comparing speakers. Anyways, They had a pair of Boston components there for like 350 and they just sounded small. My rev series components by pioneer would cream those bostons and I only paid 140 for those. Are they generally a good brand?
Old 09-28-2007, 02:53 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Crappy components

boston rocks mang..... I would own them. Speakers ALWAYS sound small in the sound board.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:21 PM
forgotten
1st Gear Member

Uh, no, their sound board sounds way better than my car applications. I bought a set of speakers there and I was way dissapointed.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:12 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

They could also be out of phase. I am amazed how many times I hear speakers out of phase in sound boards. If you are familiar with it you know it immediatly(and it drives me freekin nutz!). It makes the bass next to nothing because for every mm one woofer moves forward, the other moves the exact same amount in the exact opposite direction. It will make the bass next to nothing as well as sometimes make it hard to tell exactly where the speaker is located if you are not right on top of one or the other.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:26 PM
forgotten
1st Gear Member

Sorry, they're on opposite walls. They may be okay speakers, just I'm glad cause my Pioneers kick the crap out of those things. And they're definitely not worth 350.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:45 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forgotten

Sorry, they're on opposite walls. They may be okay speakers, just I'm glad cause my Pioneers kick the crap out of those things. And they're definitely not worth 350.
The thing you have to remember is that the installation between the board and your system is very very different. Different enclosure types, differenernt responent frequencies, different amp power, differnt eq's, different HU, among others.

Its great you are happy with your rev's, they are pretty nice speakers and the coax's are some of the best speakers you can buy to power off a HU.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Being on opposite walls has nothing to do with it but how they are wired and installed does, they are two different things...

If you asked me which one I would take by name, it would be boston............... On of the cleanest systems I ever sat in was ALL boston. Pioneer makes some ok speakers but they are no boston by any means.

Did you ask them about the differences between them or was this just what you thought to yourself. Next time ask one of the guys that knows what is going on if they are wired right and I am willing to bet they are not, they know it, and are just tooo lazy to fix it..... The soundboard gets the least amount of attention in alot of stores. The installers hate to be up there around the customers and the salesmen think they know + from - and put the stuff in with a "good enough" attitude......................
Old 09-30-2007, 07:57 AM
forgotten
1st Gear Member

Right, the newb knows nothing. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:10 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Hey, but you are listneing and becoming more intelligent on the subject matter.