Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

1969 Convertible sound solution

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:32 PM
johnboyzear

Default 1969 Convertible sound solution

Hello

I've been working on my first project car, a 1969 convertible. My goal is to have a solid cruiser car for casual driving. I've gotten to the point with the car that I've started investing time and money in to the audio, but I've hit a design snag.

I'm trying to achieve a basic setup, 4 speakers, 2 tweeters, and possibly a sub. The issue is that I can't seem to find the right spot to install the rear speakers that they offer good sound direction, and don't impede the rear passengers (if any).

Has anyone dealt with something like this, and if so, can someone offer me a viable solution for the rear sound?

Thanks!
John
Old 01-08-2008, 01:39 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: 1969 Convertible sound solution

this is not the site to ask for recomendations as where to put rear speakers as I think I am the only one that enjoys rear fill on here. Everybody else says to yank them out..............

Have you checked cardomain to see how anybody else did it?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:45 PM
johnboyzear

Ah, sorry for the ignorance. I've been searching for a few months for a solution that doesn't just look like I dumped some speakers on the floor in the back. Hadn't found much, so I've started looking on some forums. I figured that with such an official name I might find someone with a similar concern here. Back to the search...

Ciaó
Old 01-08-2008, 08:02 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

As a fellow classic owner, welcome to the audio section of the forum. There are a few of us that know and a lot that don't so look out for morons.

First, ttocs is one of the few knowledegeable people on this forum that likes rear fill. My wifes car has low frequency (400 hz and under) rear fill and my pathfinder DD only has fronts and a sub. It is 100% possible to get great surrounding sound from only front speakers with a proper installation. In a vert you will have a hard time mounting rear fill so I would go ahead and pass on them for now. If you buy a setup and feel like you are missing something from behind (Yes that statement was gay like rear fill), then we can climb that hill later.

I would love to make some recommendations on your setup but I need to have a couple questions answered first.

What is your budget? What type of music do you listen to? Will you do the install yourself? You are getting a new HU right?

The people on this forum are here to help and are not making money off anything they point you towards. Remember this when you go to the local shop and he tries to tell you exacty what you need.

With a few pictures, we could try to come up with something for the rear, but I am unaware of the setup in the back of a 69 vert. I own a 65 coupe.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:36 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

thanks real. Where ya been?

how much depth is there on the side? I imagine 0 right? they make some nice shallow mount speakers now that with a little time and creativity you could probably make a mount on top of the current panels. I recently did this with my kick panels i built, not sure what page on my cardomain page.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:03 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

I've been busy over the Christmas vacation and handling a couple family issues. I spent a lot more time in the garage and a lot less time on the computer.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:02 PM
johnboyzear

Thanks for the interest, gentlemen. I'm working on some pics to get posted for reference. However, I think I may have found a solution that may work.

To answer your question about depth, there really isn't any. The rear seat is basically stuffed into the rear of the car, wedged in between the scaffold for the top. Being a convertible, there isn't any rear 'deck' to mount to. the back of the seat actually raises over the support, so there isn't any room there. The base of the seat is flush to the rear quarter trim, which is mounted on to metal support for the car (meaning, no cutting).

I think my saving grace is at the bottom of the rear quarter trim. That area is hollow behind, but for good reason. The pistons that operate the power top use that area to pivot while the top is in operation. I did some measuring on the depth I have between the back of the rear quarter trim, and the arc the piston pivots on; it looks like I'll have enough room to install the rear speakers there. It will be crappy with rear passengers, as the speakers will be aimed into the passenger's thighs... oh well. I have a feeling it will only be me by myself or me and my woman in the car most of the time anyhow.

Once I get finished rehabbing the lower dash and putting that back together, I should have some time to get some pics posted.

Cheers!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

I wouldn't even add the rear speakers if they will be positioned that low. They will do nothing but hurt your front stage.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:16 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I hate to say I told ya so but I did.....

ORIGINAL: PReal

I wouldn't even add the rear speakers if they will be positioned that low. They will do nothing but hurt your front stage.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:28 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ttocs

I hate to say I told ya so but I did.....

ORIGINAL: PReal

But ttocs, why would you add those speakers. They will be firing all the way behind the driver and basically into the floor. I can see using rear fill bouncing off the rear glass or in a position where the will still go directly to the drivers ear (up high), but mounting speakers close to the floor in the back makes no sense to me.

Quick Reply: 1969 Convertible sound solution