Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

changing gauges... how do i remove the knob for the headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 03:11 PM
maxersloan
2nd Gear Member

Default changing gauges... how do i remove the **** for the headlights?

anyone know how to remove the **** for the headlights on an 01 stang? any other advice for switching gauges would be appreciated too... thanks!
Old 01-09-2008, 12:45 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: changing gauges... how do i remove the **** for the headlights?

look at the bottom of the **** and you will see a smallnotch in the plastic. There is a spring clip that if you put a screwdriver or something small into it(insert it towards the dash and slide it into the notch)and pull back on it the clip will release and the **** will fall off. your lights may come on when you do this, just push the pin back in and they will turn off and you will have enough room to simply pushthe knobback on when you are done.

watcha doin?
Old 01-09-2008, 12:46 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you do have the pull style of lights right?
Old 01-09-2008, 04:03 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Hook tools are a life saver for removing that thing, I tried for literally an hour between, screw drivers, paper clips etc...
Old 01-10-2008, 06:39 PM
maxersloan
2nd Gear Member

i tried that but it didn't work... and yes i have the pull ****... my buddy came over and said you just yank it off... it took some mighty pulling but it came off, only bad thing is that now whenever i pull the **** to turn my lights on the damn thing comes off... oh well... i put in some new white-faced gauges that glow blue at night, it's killer...
Old 01-10-2008, 08:39 PM
ronsfun96gt
1st Gear Member

The best way to remove the headlight **** is this: take a nail and about 1/2" from the pointed end, bend it 90 degrees. Insert pointed end in slot on **** and pull nail towards you. If you use a roofing nail it has a big head (no jokes) and gives you more to hold onto.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:59 PM
IDRISCKY
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: maxersloan

i tried that but it didn't work... and yes i have the pull ****... my buddy came over and said you just yank it off... it took some mighty pulling but it came off, only bad thing is that now whenever i pull the **** to turn my lights on the damn thing comes off... oh well... i put in some new white-faced gauges that glow blue at night, it's killer...
Probably wasn't the best idea, eh?

Superglue?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:45 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

your buddyis a tool and you should not let him touch your car again, what else did you guys break? Sorry to be blunt but I callem likeI see em[&o].... NOTHING on your cars interior requires enough fource to break the springs grip, as well as the spring that held it in place. IF you EVER find yourself wanting to put your foot on the dash to get more support to remove something, take a step back and try something different. I bet those new gauges do look killer, don't loose the **** or it will look like you had a tool install some gauges for ya[:-]..............

ORIGINAL: maxersloan