Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

2000 Ford Mustang Stereo Install - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:53 AM
mustangsally11

Unhappy Premium sound wiring harness

I have a '98 Ford Mustang with a premium sound system and my cd player/cassette player played out. I am replacing my dual deck with a single head kenwood KDC-138. I have my wiring set up as shown in the bottom photo submitted by baibbas. I am only receiving sound from the right speakers. I have rechecked the wiring several times. What am I doing wrong? Help please!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:55 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

if it is only one side that isn't working then I would lean towards a problem with the deck or deck wiring rather then with any factory equipment. The amps are run in a front/rear sequence so if you lost one then you would have no sound from the front or back. If the speaker wiring shorts out it will often turn off a portion of the internal amp. Can you get a pic of what you have?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:25 PM
mustangsally11

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39323591@N02/3615319464/ http://www.flickr.com/photos/3932359...n/photostream/ Ok, I have included a link to a picture of the new head unit with the harness attached and a link to the picture of the wires that are in my dash (the 2 harnesses that are attached to the inside of the dash are not in the picture, but I do have them). FYI...I have the solid blue wire (Antenna) from the Ford harness attached to the solid blue wire (ANT CONT) on the head unit's harness and the blue/white wire (amp turn-on) from the Ford harness attached to blue/white wire (P. CONT) on the head unit's harness.
Old 06-14-2009, 01:32 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Are the speakers still stock? Have we checked any fuses yet?
Old 06-14-2009, 04:43 PM
mustangsally11

The speakers are stock speakers but I have not checked any fuses. I did not realize that a blown fuse would stop the speakers on one side to stop working. What I will do is plug the stock radio back in to see do both the right and left sides produce sound and then I will post back.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:47 PM
mustangsally11

Interestingly enough, I slid the old unit in and I did not receive any sound whatsoever although I received sound from the one side when I put in the new head unit. I guess that my next step is to start checking fuses, huh?
Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I think I had you confused with someone else, again the amps power the front as a pair and the rear as a pair so a fuse would not cause this...... I have to say that I am really confused on this problem but would suspect that there is a short somewhere. The decks amplifier will shut down all or part of the amp if it thinks a wire is shorted. If the factory radio had no sound this might confirm it. If you have a ohm meter and know how to use it check the impedence of the speaker wires behind the deck. If you don't have a meter then just turn the deck on and then start to disconnect one wire at a time on the side that is dead. If you disconnect the wire that his shorted, the other speaker should start to play.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:46 PM
bagger75

I have a 2000 with premium sound, but it is not so prem. The sound is down and I have no bass whatsoever. All speakers work, and all fuses are in check. I was wondering if the stereo is bad or if there is a seperate amp that i can check?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:46 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the mach system has 3 different amps, 2 in the trunk and one in the dash.
Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 PM
mustangsally11

Ok, I am checking back in. I bought the metra 70-5510 so that I could plug the rca cables into the back of my aftermarket stereo (kenwood kdc-mp208) and this gave me sound from the front speakers on both sides but no sound from the rear speakers. I am guessing that I need to buy a couple of rca splitters so that I can have 4 holes for the rca cables on the harness as opposed to the available 2 holes on the back of the receiver. Question is, what kind of rca splitter do I need to purchase?

Quick Reply: 2000 Ford Mustang Stereo Install - Help!