Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

amp/sub combo

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 11:52 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

Default amp/sub combo

Is this a good amp to run with these subs?
Amp

Subs

I'm not looking for show quality stuff...just some decent base in my trunk.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:38 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

Default RE: amp/sub combo

that will be really good quality stuff, good choices on both.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:25 AM
88lx5.0
1st Gear Member

i have two rockford fosgate amp and there amazing those ones are good. im not a big fan of there new stuff.
Old 04-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

The amp is good but not alot of power, I'd get the next step up on the subs they look the same as the ones your lookin at but their the silver/red ones, there better than the ones your lookin at and they are almost the same price, and they have like double the RMS watts. Im gonna get the red/silver compvr12's when i save up some more money, cuz my friend has them runnin off a 1000 watt kicker amp and they sound AWESOME!!!. But if you want a really basic setup then those will work, but I know you can find better for a little bit more money you just have to look around more...
Old 04-04-2005, 12:19 AM
Dare
1st Gear Member

Looks like you need two of those amps to drive those subs. I'm not an expert though.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:28 AM
dc_mann8
5th Gear Member

id say he doesnt want max bass, just a good chunk of bang bang from the trunk. this will meet your needs greatly.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:29 AM
mrnolan27

I agree with jimmz! You should upgrade your subs. That amp will run rigt around the rms for the subs. If you like loud bass then you might damage the subs with the rms being so close on both ends. It is always better to underpower the subs than to overpower them. Also when running the amp with a 2 ohm load it may get hot so don't bury it. Make sure it can get some kind of air. IE... mount it on a box not between the box and the seat. Let us know what you did!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:31 AM
mrnolan27

Sorry! You could also get a decent 12" DVC (dual voive coil) 4 ohm sub and get about the same amount of bass and you would save trunk (like we have one) space!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:19 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

Just some questions about wattage/ohms...if the amp puts out 150RMS to a 4ohm load...and the sub is rated at 150RMS at 4ohms...can i even hook two of them to the amp? If i went with the compVR's i'd need a bigger amp as well correct?
Old 04-05-2005, 12:25 AM
Jimmz
4th Gear Member

Yeah it would make more sense to do that, go for the better setup, its better to have too much than to have not enough.. Are you goin to go with the 2 ohm or 4 ohm??? Remember the lower the ohms the harder the HIT!! and make sure your amp can run a 2 ohm if your going with it. I wouldnt worry too much about the overheating, most amps automagically!! turn off when they get too hot, but just in case you can buy one of those little fans that you can hook up to ur amp!

and yeah you can but if ur amp is that much rms, youd be better off with one subs cuz if you have 2 then the amp will only be running 75 watts to both subs which is NOTHING!!!, if you get 1 sub however it will hit harder cuz 150 watts will be going to the 1 sub...

Quick Reply: amp/sub combo