Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back seat

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:19 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

Default How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back seat

I know what you guys are thinking, who cares if the whole trunk is taken up by my audio equipment... (I care)

I decided to try using some of the area on each side of the rear seat.

I removed the rear seat, and removed the side panel.

This is the space that is normally taken by rear speakers anyway. Since I have no intention of listening from back there, I decided subwoofers was all I needed there.

So I made a template out of cardboard.

I transferred this template to a piece of masonite, and trimmed it out to fit. This will become the front of your mold.

I wanted both sides to match, so I made them identical.

I used duct tape for the sides and back of the mold. You can use whatever you like, but you MUST keep the resin from sticking to the car..

Then, I used fiberglass cloth and resin to make the back and sides of the enclosure.

After you give the resin time to harden, pop the piece loose from the car. Be gentle.

Now it's time for some sleep, Tomorrow I'll make the other side, and I'll add more resin and fiberglass to the first one to make it stronger, and more dense.

Maybe I'll post more soon.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back seat

it ain't perty but glass work rarely is. keep us posted!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:42 AM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back seat

That front is going to be a pain to blend, but that is a great solution to adding bass without taking up the entire trunk.

I will putting together a stealth install for my wife's bimmer soon and the challenge there is going to be completely hiding the amps...
Old 06-30-2008, 08:46 AM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back

1. It will be perty when I'm done.
2. I can blend. I didn't win the championship for my looks.
Old 06-30-2008, 11:15 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back

welcome to the forum. IT will be great to have some more experienced people on here that have spent time with custom work as I don't have the patients to explain things the way your site does.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:20 PM
PReal
5th Gear Member

Should have clicked the link!!!!

You don't happen to still have a couple of those soundstreams and want to get rid of them?
Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PReal
You don't happen to still have a couple of those soundstreams and want to get rid of them?
Nope, sorry.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:31 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I wanna see how it looks when its done.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:38 AM
AudioNutz
2nd Gear Member

It's going to look original. (Because they fit behind the original panels)
Old 07-04-2008, 12:55 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

well I know that, but I would still like to see it finished. YA CAN'T LEAVE US HANGIN LIKE THAT...

Quick Reply: How To: Install Subwoofers in a 1992 Convertible without using trunk space, or loosing the back seat