Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

whats your favorite sub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:30 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by colin06
and also that you don't like sealed ported enclosures lol
but explodes sound sooo goood in them......
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

i agree RE are good, so are Digital Designs, and Memphis.
i like, T3 audio though alot of people have never heard of em, but this year (and others as well) at spring break nationas and IASCA world finals they blew the windshield out of their van, and they have nice sound quality setups as well.
i dont agree with kicker is over rated, especially when they have broken records, but at the same time i also dont like kicker because everyone thinks they are so baddass, let me rephrase all that i guess, for sound competitions kicker is good (which is what i do is sound comps) but as far as everyday rednecks thinking their l6 and l7's are louder than anyone else's, no i dont think so.

its all in the box too, if you build the right box for your particular sub and get everything tuned right it can sound amazing, or you can have the best sub money can buy in the wrong box and get low numbers everyday.

also in the beginning of this post i read about a guy that was using sony explode, well he also said he had 1400w, i honestly highly doubt that you are getting that much, reason being is there is true power that has been tested, then companys like sony and a few others mainly the cheap ones you see really good deals on, say they get 1000w even 2000w when they may be getting half that or even a quarter that, because thats their expected power, it may only reach that if you throw 16v to it with is wired down to 2ohm or less, and may even only get that much power for a second or even a split second, but they say thats what it gets anyway.

but in the sub portion your box has everything to do with the setup like i said, and i knwo i said all that about kicker, but i am a competitor and compete as a member in IASCA and USACI and competed in MECA but not as a member, but thats why i use kicker is for competiton purpose. but for kids putting them in their car because they think its cool or they are the best with a box they bought at best buy..... sorry but no.

anyway thats my take on it. lol sorry for the long post
Old 04-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I ran Kicker C-10 competition series back in the "day" lol. I thought those subs were made by god himself. Then the JL's started to take all the competitions and I grew out of it for awhile. I recently got back into car audio several years ago and purchased some Kicker L5's for the truck. One blew pretty quick being pushed with a Kicker 700.5's mono channel and Kicker KQ5 preamp/para eq. I replaced them with L7's and then one of those died.

I went with a single JL W7 12'' in the mustang run by a 25-Life series Fosgate 1k 5 channel amp. Morel Hybrid Ovation 6'' set up front behind the door panels with tweeters mounted just forward of the door handles a few inches from the mids and Boston SL80 plates on the rear deck. All run by an Alpine ida-X100 head with 8GB memory stick in the glove box.

The JL sub, while I know it's not the "best" sub quality reproduces bass VERY accurately. MUCH better than the kicker barics. This is the best sound quality system I've ever owned... by far. The morel's are so f-in accurate it's unreal. Sounds like the vocalist is sitting next to you in the car. Beautiful.