Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Set up help/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 02:18 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Default Set up help/suggestions

Upgrading my system to lose the factory amp and go to custom amp set up. I've all ready changed out the head unit to a Kenwood DNX-7120, door speakers to Polk audio momo mids & tweeters with active crossovers and rear deck speakers to Alpine 6x9 two way's for rear fill. I'm getting a 12" sub and a mono amp to run it so that's not at issue. What I would like help/suggestions on is, what is the best way to set up my mid's, tweet's,& mid bass? I want to use the two door sub's as my mid bass. So....what should I be looking for as far as amps & crossovers? 4 channel? 5 channel? or what? Thanks in advance, I've been out of the car audio bizz too long to remember whats the best way to go.
Old 02-10-2009, 03:02 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

I think you might have some of your term mixed up. An active cross-over is an electronic cross-over that would go between your head unit and your amp and allow you to "activly" adjust the signal that goes to the amp, and then on to the individual speaker. To do this, you would need a 4 channel amp to run a standard 2 channel componant set and you would negate the cross-over that is included with the speakers.

If your asking about amps then a large part of the determing factor is simply how much can you spend? Do you have the room for multiple amps?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:16 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ttocs
I think you might have some of your term mixed up. An active cross-over is an electronic cross-over that would go between your head unit and your amp and allow you to "activly" adjust the signal that goes to the amp, and then on to the individual speaker. To do this, you would need a 4 channel amp to run a standard 2 channel componant set and you would negate the cross-over that is included with the speakers.

If your asking about amps then a large part of the determing factor is simply how much can you spend? Do you have the room for multiple amps?
Ya, I ment a passive crossover. Currently everything is being run ofF the head unit and the door subs are running off the factory amp. I want to pull everything off the head unit and run them threw an amp(s). I guess my biggest question is the mid bass setup, I know I could just get a 4 channel amp and run my mids & tweets and rear fill speakers off it but when it comes to running the mid bass is it better to use passive cross overs on it, or run it on its own amp? And I do have room for amps in my trunk.

forgot to add in that I'm not looking to run big power here. I'm more interested in get a clean sound.

Last edited by CutterWolf; 02-10-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

the cross-overs that are included with the speakers were designed to work with good power to them. By going with an active cross-over and an amp to each speaker you get the opportunity to clean the signal before amplification of all the sounds that speaker would not like to play. This will result in a cleaner signal, with a little more power to the individual drivers and will get a cleaner, louder sound IF it is done right. I throw the IF on the end of that sentence as with any install is is almost 2/3rds install and 1/3 equipment but the active system has 2x as much equipment. A good installer can make bad equipment sound ok, a bad installer can make great equipment sound bad. My mustang uses an active system, my truck I am about to finish is passive.

To be polite, active cross-overs require either a good ear to tune them or good equipment(osciloscopes, signal generators ect) and if you are as new to audio as I suspect I would just go with the x-overs included. Stick around and ask a few more questions(the more the better) and try to stick your head inside as many systems as you can to hear what sounds good to you and sooner then you think you will understand the differences and what is best for you.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:53 AM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

the cross-overs that are included with the speakers were designed to work with good power to them. By going with an active cross-over and an amp to each speaker you get the opportunity to clean the signal before amplification of all the sounds that speaker would not like to play. This will result in a cleaner signal, with a little more power to the individual drivers and will get a cleaner, louder sound IF it is done right. I throw the IF on the end of that sentence as with any install is is almost 2/3rds install and 1/3 equipment but the active system has 2x as much equipment. A good installer can make bad equipment sound ok, a bad installer can make great equipment sound bad. My mustang uses an active system, my truck I am about to finish is passive.

To be polite, active cross-overs require either a good ear to tune them or good equipment(osciloscopes, signal generators ect) and if you are as new to audio as I suspect I would just go with the x-overs included. Stick around and ask a few more questions(the more the better) and try to stick your head inside as many systems as you can to hear what sounds good to you and sooner then you think you will understand the differences and what is best for you.
Oh I understand all that, I use to be an installer way way way back but things have changed alot since then. I'm just trying to see if there are easyer ways to setup what I want. Like I said its been a long time since I was in the game and some things are a little fuzzy now so I just need a little re-education.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking on doing:
3 amp setup, one 4 channel (Mids & Tweets & Rear fill) one 2 channel (Mid Bass) and one mono (Sub).
Cap off the mid bass at 500 & 100 and Cap the Sub at 100. Let the passive cross overs for the mids & tweets take care of them and run the rear fill in full range.
Also would like to place a 6 channel line driver pre-amp to help clean things up as much as possable.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:04 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

you could simplify things by going with a 3 way componant set up front like I did in my stang. Mine did a 6"-4"-1" set but there are others that go up to as large as a 9" woofer that you MIGHT be able to shoe-horn in your doors. I also made some simple enclosures for the 6.5s that helped out ALOT in the midbass area, really tightened things up. As I mentioned before I decided to throw more power then I needed at these speakers and let the active cross-overs in the amps do most of the work cleaning the signal while still utilizing the bi-amplification mode of the cross-overs to blend the 3speakers together. To do this I used a 4 channel amp and dedicated it to playing the front 3 ways speakers. One side of the amp(diamond audio D9 100rms x 4) to play the 6.5s, and the other channel is split between the 4" and 1" for a total 400 watts rms between 6 speakers up front. The combination of the kick panels and the mid-bass enclosures with PLENTY of clean power made for a happy soundstage that I can crank as loud as my ears want to take it.

You can see it in my cardomain page if you have not looked already.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:04 PM
CutterWolf
5th Gear Member

you could simplify things by going with a 3 way componant set up front like I did in my stang. Mine did a 6"-4"-1" set but there are others that go up to as large as a 9" woofer that you MIGHT be able to shoe-horn in your doors. I also made some simple enclosures for the 6.5s that helped out ALOT in the midbass area, really tightened things up. As I mentioned before I decided to throw more power then I needed at these speakers and let the active cross-overs in the amps do most of the work cleaning the signal while still utilizing the bi-amplification mode of the cross-overs to blend the 3speakers together. To do this I used a 4 channel amp and dedicated it to playing the front 3 ways speakers. One side of the amp(diamond audio D9 100rms x 4) to play the 6.5s, and the other channel is split between the 4" and 1" for a total 400 watts rms between 6 speakers up front. The combination of the kick panels and the mid-bass enclosures with PLENTY of clean power made for a happy soundstage that I can crank as loud as my ears want to take it.

You can see it in my cardomain page if you have not looked already.
Thanks, I think I'll run something simular.