Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Why did my amps stop working

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Frankenstang211

Default Why did my amps stop working

Here's the background:
-2004 GT
-MACH 460 system

-I took out the stock head unit, and replaced it with the Sony XAV-W1. Nice touchscreen unit. Wired up the Sony harness (spliced it) to a Ford 1998 and up generic harness. Worked fine. I even spliced in the little harness that has the RCA cables for the woofer and the amp turn on wire. Cool.

-When I took out the stock unit, I unplugged three harnesses. The first was the main harness. Have the new one to fit that, check. The one on the farther side was the little one with the amp turn on and RCA cables. Got that one, check. The middle one is the booger. It was a perfectly square harness, with only three wires coming out. Two purple ones with stripes (I think...I'll verify tomorrow, and put up a picture).

Asked Best Buy installers if this was a problem...they said no, just let it hang.
Hooked everything together, and it all lit up great. Radio turned on, things worked, got reception, etc. Couldn't be happier.

Problem: Sound comes out of all speakers, but predominantly the tweeters, and there is decidedly no amp power coming out like it used to. When I look at the back of the Ford unit, that square hole that matches the harness I didn't use says "amp" in it, but I can't figure out what I need. I have the amp turn-on taken care of, and the back of the Sony unit doesn't seem to have more holes or wires or **** to go out. There are plenty of RCA holes on the back of the Sony unit, but as far as little wires, nothing left.

Any advice would be great, and I'll get some pics up tomorrow.
I refuse to go to an installer, let him do it for me, not know how its done, and pay $$$ for plugging in one damn wire.

Thanks
Mike
Old 02-16-2009, 11:59 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

those wires were blue, and blue and white probably. This is exactly why you have no bass as that wire is what the amp uses to turn on. Your deck should have a remote turn on wire that will be either blue, or blue and white that should be wired up for this.

I think almost every month we have a funny story here that starts with ,"I asked an expert at best bye". The humor in that sentence is that expert and best bye(thats not a typo) belong in the same sentence as much as teeth and *****............
Old 03-20-2009, 06:56 AM
5pointslow91
4th Gear Member

omg yea, the guys that work at best buy install are dumb as hell
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 AM
mitzutuner
1st Gear Member

i agree dont listen to the best buy guys, they have no clue whats going on half the time, i loved going into circuit city and best buy and ask them technical questions and ask about well i have heard these subs are really good... and they pause and say "but this kicker l5 will out do anything they have"....... right...... and im not saying that to diss kicker i run kicker but a l5? come on they dont know much abotu whats going on

but anyway like the second post said your blue wire should be amp turn on, check into that first see what comes up. if not send in some pics