Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

NEED HELP WITH A CUT RADIO HARNESS

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 07:58 PM
SNAKEDOC257

Default NEED HELP WITH A CUT RADIO HARNESS

At some point in my 91GT's life I believe the radio was stolen, but I am not ruling out a complete idiot did the radio install. I bought it as a project car and I am in the process of putting the interior back in.

There was no radio in the car when I bought it and there was aftermarket speaker wire and speakers everywhere. I pulled all of the aftermarket crap and threw it away, hoping to start from scratch. Problem is, some idiot cut the factory radio wiring harness only a few inches from the main harness under the dash.

I went to several different junkyards and sourced three radio harnesses. Two from a 93, and One from a 90. Problem is all three are different in some way, i.e., wire color or number of wires.

Is there a diagram or picture anywhere that would show me what my radio harness is supposed to look like. This is giving me fits and I would like to splice in factory plugs and then use the appropriate aftermarket adapter harness, like one from Schosh.

Thanks in advance,
Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
87GT Drop Top
1st Gear Member

I found this on another site
1990-91 Ford Mustang Stereo Information
Constant 12V+Green/Yellow
Switched 12V+Yellow/Black
Ground Chassis
Illumination Blue/Red
Dimmer n/a
Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue
Antenna Right Front
Front Speakers 5 1/4" Doors 3 1/2" Dash
Left Front (+)Orange/Green
Left Front (-)Light Blue/White
Right Front (+)White/Green
Right Front (-)Green/Orange
Rear Speakers5" x 7" Side Panels
Left Rear (+)Pink/Green
Left Rear (-)Pink/Blue
Right Rear (+)Pink/Blue
Right Rear (-)Green/Orange
Old 05-01-2009, 10:34 PM
SNAKEDOC257

Thanks, I will use that tomorrow and see if it helps. I have found all the speaker wires. I couldn't figure out what the other ones do. I can match up all the speaker wires on harnesses I got out of the junkyard, but I could not figure out how to match up the other ones. Do you know if there is a small harness that hooks into the main harness as well as the radio? When I was at the junk yard I pulled out a small harness from a 90 model that was plugged into the main harness under the dash. It has a black plug and a gray plug that plugged into the main harness and then into the radio. I did not realized until I got home that I was missing the plugs on the main harness. I probably need to take pics to and post them to show this cluster. It's hard for me to explain. I wish I could find a good picture of a factory harness so that I could see just what this a--hole cut off.

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:59 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

check out page 2 of my cardomain page and it shows the harness's. Also, look under the pass seat or behind the radio for the factory amp. If that is there we will need to bypass it.

I wouldn't put any trust in that wiring code. Ford codes from the 90 varies alot....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 AM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Use Digital multi meter to check that the wires are what they say they are......

DMM Everyone should have one!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
stangcrazy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTRedfire03
Use Digital multi meter to check that the wires are what they say they are......

DMM Everyone should have one!

Definatly a must have if you are going to be trouble shooting any electronics. I learned the hard way I waas one of those idiots that cut his factory harness out of my first car. Learned alot about tracing out wires though.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Honestly man, in a car like that I think you're better pulling a 12v switched, 12v constant (for memory), and a ground from anywhere in the harness and just run all new wires.

If you pull the three wires above from somewhere else, all you've really got left is a need to run new speaker wires. That's pretty straightforward and I think you'll get better quality of sound from the new wire.

Trying to rebuild the factory harness seems like more trouble than it's worth, IMHO.
Old 05-14-2009, 12:29 PM
Big Top Gt
3rd Gear Member

Double post FTL.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:44 PM
GTRedfire03
3rd Gear Member

Big Top..... I dont think this guy is coming back on it has been 13 days since OP has back....
Old 05-14-2009, 05:46 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

and there is no reason to run new wire. The sound quality gained would be minimal(doubt we could tell) and it is easy enough to diagnose speaker wires in a couple of minutes with nothing more then a AA battery. I could rebuild a cut harness(as long as it isn't a cut premium sound) in 15 mins.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP WITH A CUT RADIO HARNESS