Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

want to upgrade stock speakers on 2007 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 07:30 PM
yodre

Default want to upgrade stock speakers on 2007 mustang

I want to upgrade the stock speakers in the front/back.

Was wondering if somebody could tell me:

1. What size are the front and rear speakers?
2. Will aftermarket speakers require any customization or are they plug and play?
3. Will the speakers still sound good if I hookup to the stock amp?
4. Any recomendation for speakers? Something between $100 or $200.

I don't want a sub, just speakers that will sound nice.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:15 PM
HypromanGT
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by yodre
I want to upgrade the stock speakers in the front/back.

Was wondering if somebody could tell me:

1. What size are the front and rear speakers?
2. Will aftermarket speakers require any customization or are they plug and play?
3. Will the speakers still sound good if I hookup to the stock amp?
4. Any recomendation for speakers? Something between $100 or $200.

I don't want a sub, just speakers that will sound nice.
1. The front (top) and rear speakers are 5x7/6x8 inch. The front door (lower) subs are 8 inch; I think they are shallow mounted.
2. It really depends on the speakers you get. For example, Infinity Reference 6x8s are a drop-in replacement for the front doors (and rear as far as I know); however components will require some drilling. Some have put bigger speakers in by cutting into the door a bit.
3. The aforementioned Infinity Reference speakers are a nice improvement in sound quality over the stock speakers, even when powered by the shaker 500.
4. Check out www.crutchfield.com, and go through the "What fits in my car" wizard for more ideas.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 PM
pentavolvo
2nd Gear Member

i recommend polk db571 if u get the metra harness' its 100% plug and play no wire splicing at all

the oem door subs arent easily changed, the shaker 500 amp only powers the door subs, the radio powers the speakers
Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 PM
yodre

Thanks for the information. Didn't realize the sub was a seperate unit. Part of the reason why I wanted to change the speakers is because the bass sounded sloppy.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

You can put a amp with a built in x-over on the subs.IMO they are underpowered and adjusted to not overpower the mids/highs.I put a 65X4 on the 8" door subs and they were louder and depper then the 10" Shaker subs.

I recently replaced the stock speakers with a O2 Audio 3 way 8" component set up. Im using a 5 channel Interfire amp(i will change later) and im builging a plexi box ported trhough the rear(convertible) for 2 L7's

Last edited by Iskwezm; 10-16-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

Another option are these from Shelby (custom made by Kicker) including speakers, door subs, and amps that all fit with no modification...

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.co...20Electronics&
Old 10-19-2009, 12:50 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Doogie65
Another option are these from Shelby (custom made by Kicker) including speakers, door subs, and amps that all fit with no modification...

http://www.shelbyperformanceparts.co...20Electronics&
I ordered some 6x8s from Crutchfield for my doors and rear. I didn't order any subwoofers because I couldn't find any that I thought would fit.

Do the Shelby (Kicker) 8" Sub units realy just bolt right in with no mods?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:00 AM
Doogie65
4th Gear Member

I am almost 100% sure the doors are a direct replacement.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:49 AM
gtbillyb
1st Gear Member

with regard to the shelby system; all the speakers are direct replacement;there is a mounting ring that kicks the door subs out a bit but it really is a breeze;need to cut andtape two of the speaker wires to the door subs but the instructions are very good.i installed this sytem myself[im 63 ] and it was a piece of cake;including the amp.The performance of this sytem,with the stock shaker 500 is really outstanding.If your using a good quality aftermarket head unit..even better.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:31 AM
FastDEW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by gtbillyb
with regard to the shelby system; all the speakers are direct replacement;there is a mounting ring that kicks the door subs out a bit but it really is a breeze;need to cut andtape two of the speaker wires to the door subs but the instructions are very good.i installed this sytem myself[im 63 ] and it was a piece of cake;including the amp.The performance of this sytem,with the stock shaker 500 is really outstanding.If your using a good quality aftermarket head unit..even better.
Thanks! That is the info I was looking for.

Quick Reply: want to upgrade stock speakers on 2007 mustang