Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Bad Amps Drain Battery? (Mach 460)

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 10:28 AM
darcane

Default Bad Amps Drain Battery? (Mach 460)

I've got a convertible with a Mach 460 system. The top was leaking (now replaced) when I bought the car and the rear amps were unplugged. While I replaced the top, I plugged the amps back in to see if the subs would start working (they didn't). Since then, I've been having problems with the battery not having enough power for the car to crank over. I unplugged the amps last night and I think that will fix the battery drain issue.

So, anyone ever have this same problem? Did replacing the amps fix it?

While the car is mostly unmolested, I popped open the fuse panel and found two surprises:

A fuse is missing (2nd column of minis, 2nd row), and from what I found online this is for "audio". In spite of this, the radio and half the speakers work fine...

And if you look at the yellow maxi fuse, it is "cleverly" bypassed with a standard blade fuse:

So, I'm not sure if I should be looking for other electrical problems as well here.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 AM
Borisbadenov

I have the same issue with my amps draining my battery. I bought the car back in Feb and didn't have an issue till summer someone did put an aftermarket head unit in it and I thought they may had miswired the radio but after pulling the fuse for the I still had a drain. I then started testing for drain and pulling underhood fuses and the 2nd min on the right side row was showing a big draw like .2 amps unplugged that and went out next day car started. So I started checking to see what did not work the radio worked but no sound I put the fuse back in turned the car on and I had sound so it seems that circuit is only for the amps. From what I have read or understood those amps will not work with any other speakers because the speakers are 8 ohm except for maybe the tweeters and most aftermarket equipment is 4 ohm. So you have have to do a complete overhaul speakers and amp. now keep in mind mine is a coup not a convertible.