Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

iPod/iPhone Auxiliary Broken

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:56 AM
sarahjane

Default iPod/iPhone Auxiliary Broken

Hey y'all,

I've got a 2009 Mustang that came equipped with an iPod auxiliary that plugs into the power source. I honestly don't know if it was an aftermarket thing or if it came with the Pony Package. I've also got Mobile Ease, and a Ford radio guy told me the jack was part of that system, which doesn't make any sense to me. Anyway, it's screwed up, music won't play, just plain broken. Does anyone know anything about this, or where I could possibly buy another one to install?

Thanks a million.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:24 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

"Mobile ease" I know very little about. So this is just a charger that uses the Bluetooth connection to play the audio? I was under the impression this was just a crappy pre-cursor to SYNC, and just for voice calls? This to my knowledge is not tied together in the manner that the "ford radio guy" conveyed to you.

If all you want to do is play music...The Pony Package should have the aux input (3.5mm) jack in the center console(arm-rest) next to the other charger plug, might even just be standard for the 07+'s. 3rd harness used in the factory radio. You may just wish to use this and put the radio on aux to play your Ipod. A simple charger for the ipod and a 3.5mm cable will be all that's necessary. If your saying there is something wrong with this 3.5mm jack connection, then I'd just take it into an audio shop nearby with a decent rep. Perhaps use a crutchfield recommended one? EDIT: and as aaquib states below, check your 3.5mm cord first.

If you are using your Ipod to recieve calls through it and that's not working, then not much to be done save replacing the factory radio. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with another stock one with this. Fairly easy to find a cheaper after-market bluetooth head-unit to do your hands-free calling with and get built-in control over the ipod via bluetooth or even a wired connection into the center console.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-12-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Are you saying your mustang didn't come with the ipod specific jack in the arm rest? Because if that is what's failing to play your music, it might very well be the 3.5mm cord you are using. I had been having similar problems recently, and then found out it was the aux cord that was causing them due to frayed/loose connections in the cord.

That auxiliary that "plugs into the power source" sounds like an FM transmitter, is that what you are talking about? Because my Pony pkg didn't come with anything like that, and the aux will definitely give you better sound quality over those transmitters.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Never heard of Mobile ease...hmm..anyways, to the OP are you talking about the 3.5mm jack and 12v power source inside the center console or some external device for the ipod?
Old 07-12-2011, 03:10 PM
sarahjane

I think I worded something wrong. The cord I have was factory or after-market installed (it's embedded into the console) and it plugs into my iPhone power source, not the headphone jack. I do have a 3.5mm auxiliary jack, but I don't have a cord to connect it to my phone. I guess the easier route would be to buy a Belkin cord, but I thought I'd see if anyone knew about this other cord. I thought it was a cool thing at the time, but now it's just screwed up! Hope I didn't pay too much for it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sarahjane
I think I worded something wrong. The cord I have was factory or after-market installed (it's embedded into the console) and it plugs into my iPhone power source, not the headphone jack.
Could ya just snap a shot of it with the Iphone when you get a chance, upload it to imageshack.us, and post the thumbnail [forum] code here so we can see it? Picture = 1000 words after-all.

At this point, I'm assuming you have what aaquib is stating, and this is just an aux power plug-in unit that transmits the audio via FM to the head-unit while keeping the iphone charged. You were changing tracks on the iphone itself, NOT the head-unit, correct? Where I think it's plugged in I've circled in red below (ignore that it's out, and a guy is holding it with another backplate, this was a project of mine). Right or wrong?

Really..My suggestion in any case.. Call and browse crutchfield, assuming this is a factory radio they can ask you over the phone what you're after from this iphone adapter, and give you detailed hard-copy instructions on how to install it yourself, with very little involved. Likely the adapter will cost a few bucks more, but worth it. I say this, because a 3.5mm to 3.5mm cord and an iphone charger would do it, but quite dangerous on the road having to change tracks and such on the iphone itself. Better to get one that hooks up to the can-bus, or bluetooth to control directly from the head-unit.

Last edited by wayne613; 07-15-2011 at 01:44 PM.