Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

sound ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 02:38 PM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

sound damping rubber spash guards - I am sorry but I have to chuckle a little bit at this as to do this, you will probably end up putting a rubber-based material to do this. A cheap ranger sound damping material to me is going to have peel-n-seel written all over it. Again this is an asphault based material and will leach carcinogenic fumes as you can read on the MSDS for it. Home based under-flooring sound damping I am afraid will not be made to be around moisture and while in a perfect world the inside of your car will stay dry but in reality water gets in and any material not made to deal with it will cause more problems down the road.

People have been hacking that stuff together and posting pics online for a long time but they never show the long lasting effects. The asphault based stuff in the summer can also turn to liquid and stain the carpet or anything it touches, and I have seen it just fall of in the winter. Honestly take your time, save your money for the right stuff and you will save time/money in the long run..... Car audio much like a perfomance motor is not a good place to try and pinch pennys.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
phoenixfriend84
1st Gear Member

So I am gathering as I research it more. I have found several places online that sell dampener for Automotive use that aren't as expensive as dynamat or fat mat. B quiet seems quality possibly a little thinner but still viable. I'm not looking for Mercedes quiet. Just quieter than it is now. Just because I'm building a " hot rod " doesn't mean it can't be comfortable to an extent. As farbas the fender splash guards I hear every people the soft tires throws around. Just a bit annoying. I could glue some indoor outdoor carpet in there. I've seen a lot of Lexus and Toyota models like that. Just have to get some black rather than green. For the rear ill just shoot some rubberized under coating under there. No one thing by itself is the problem its everything combined. It creates a driving nightmare. No radio at the moment.