Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Door Speaker Wire

Old 05-23-2012, 12:22 AM
fishmonger

Default Door Speaker Wire

I'm going to run a three way active speaker system in the doors of my 2010 convertible but I can't get all the wires through the door harness loom from the body. Has anyone had this issue, or found a way around it? Could I install another or larger wire loom?
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

its often hard to get the wires through the boot. I often find it easier to push either a coat hanger or another smaller wire, and then tape my wires to that and then pull them through. A little WD40 on the wires will also allow them to pull through alot easier and not damage anything but use it sparingly even still.

what line of cross-overs/amps/speakers are you going with?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:15 AM
fishmonger

Originally Posted by ttocs
its often hard to get the wires through the boot. I often find it easier to push either a coat hanger or another smaller wire, and then tape my wires to that and then pull them through. A little WD40 on the wires will also allow them to pull through alot easier and not damage anything but use it sparingly even still.

what line of cross-overs/amps/speakers are you going with?
I'm using Hi-Vi D630 speakers and a Zed Leviathan amp. I am using the crossover in the amp so I have three sets of wires coming off the amp. Also there is a molex connector on the body side of the door and all the pins are being used. I can get the wire through the rubber boot, it's the connector i'm having an issue with.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I tried running wires from the driver's door on my 2012, I finally gave up and used the factory wires...after about 3 hrs.

There are two plates and the connector in the way. I might try blowing a string through with compressed air later.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:39 AM
ttocs
6th Gear Member

Often you can find a part of the hrns that is not being used and drill some holes in it to pass the wires through. If it is full then you are sol as you will need to remove the door or fender to put a new boot in.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:54 PM
fishmonger

Originally Posted by ttocs
Often you can find a part of the hrns that is not being used and drill some holes in it to pass the wires through. If it is full then you are sol as you will need to remove the door or fender to put a new boot in.
I talked to my body man today. He is going to remove the doors and install new boots for the wires.