Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New Headunit - Steering wheel control?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Default New Headunit - Steering wheel control?

So I installed a new Pioneer AVH-X2500BT with a Metra dash kit/wiring harness & ASWC-1 steering wheel control.... and all is good except I can't get the phone buttons on my new GT500 steering wheel to work.

The other stereo buttons (volume, seek, mode, etc) all work fine.

Anyone with the GT500 steering wheel and aftermarket phone-capable headunit gotten those buttons to work? Maybe they're designed to only work with the OEM Ford Sync system?

Name:  dash_zps1a6e3fd3.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  130.0 KB
Old 10-12-2013, 01:32 PM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Well I got the answer to my question through PAC Audio tech support. (The tech support at Metra/Axxess was of no help)

I called PAC Audio because I thought maybe their SWC device would work better than the Metra/Axxess one.

But according to them, not only does my headunit not support the phone buttons on the steering wheel, he isn't aware of any headunit that does, either with the PAC Audio or Metra/Axxess SWC devices.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:37 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

That answer almost makes sense, have you tried programming the steering wheel controller box? when I got mine it said that it should recognize most cars, and it recognized mine without issues, but if it didnt it had programming instructions. Might check that out.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ticopowell
That answer almost makes sense, have you tried programming the steering wheel controller box? when I got mine it said that it should recognize most cars, and it recognized mine without issues, but if it didnt it had programming instructions. Might check that out.
Yes, I tried the manual programming. Nothing happens when you try to program the steering wheel phone controls, they aren't recognized by the ASWC as being there. I suspect they don't connect into the wiring harness like the other stereo steering wheel controls do.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:48 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Well it was worth a shot. my next thought is to try a different brand of steering wheel adapter... but that costs money. there is another post about a new system or something but only for kenwood HU's. Might be worth trying. I also saw that on the non sync models(mine), if I long press a button it has a different effect(answer calls, mute, etc..) so you could try that with the normal buttons and see... but that would get very annoying to have a non-usable button.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

new thought, did you make sure to get a sync capable wiring harness?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:56 AM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

new thought, did you make sure to get a sync capable wiring harness?
No, the only ones I know of are Metra/Axxess and PAC Audio. Do you know of a sync-capable one?
Old 10-21-2013, 09:20 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

I found the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW that might work better, but I don't know for sure... I've never used it. They have a whole system I think, but I haven't looked into anything for the extra buttons.
Old 10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Paul_VS
2nd Gear Member

I found the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW that might work better, but I don't know for sure... I've never used it. They have a whole system I think, but I haven't looked into anything for the extra buttons.
Thanks for the tip.... I tried iDatalink's tech support, and they just confirmed what I've been hearing -- the GT steering wheel buttons for the phone only work with the OEM Ford Sync system.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:42 AM
ticopowell
2nd Gear Member

Good to know, sorry :/

Quick Reply: New Headunit - Steering wheel control?