Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Wiring harness issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:08 AM
clapton_rocks

Default Wiring harness issue

I have a 2000 without the mach system. it has the two headunits - one cd the other is the radio/tape and i wanted to put in aftermarket pioneer headunit. i have a wiring harness and i have been able to get power to the new headunit but cant get speakers connected, the speaker harness doesn't match anything in the car's wiring we managed to find what looks to be an amp under the cd player and it looks to be the only thing that could be hooked up to the speakers.

http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFD05B
does that look like what i should be looking for?
is there anyway/should i be bypassing the amp using the preamp on the new headunit to the speakers?

getting pretty damn fed up. any ideas?

Also... anyone know where to get the cage.. or whatever else i need... to hold the h/u in?
Old 10-11-2005, 01:12 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Wiring harness issue

you sure its not a mach?? if it has an amp there it maybe, but I am not sure. I just installed a head unit today in mine that has a similar set up as you described except I have the MACH 460. I was able to buy the wiring harness for the premium sound from scorshe or something like that. I ended up only using 2 of the plugs from the harness. It was interesting plugging the speakers in but I got it to work. The speaker cable was the one with 8 pins, the cable with 6 is the cd player connection, I'm assuming because it is currently just sitting behind the stereo now. The longer plug was the popwer/ground/memory and that one is self explanitory when you look at it. on the Scoshe harness I did not use the green and white plugs.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:03 AM
clapton_rocks

alright... yeah, you're right... definatly not your basic setup like i thought i had (it sucks... so i thought i had the base). I have the premium sound system. Basically... what I have listed up there is the adapter TO the amp, so taht'll work (I believe that's what you have there ironh). What I'm thinking now is... with the preamp... to a OEM amp... which I'm assuming is crap, I'm probably going to blow the amp, or at least send it into safe mode seeing as the amp wasn't intended to take a preamp's power.

What I'm thinking of doing... is ditching the OEM amp, and running it right to the speakers, but at this point I can't find the harness for that, and I'd rather find a harness than splice it in.

by the sounds of it ironh.. you wired it to the amp right?

I'll try and get some pics at sometime if that helps at all... I'm also hoping to rip the whole thing out... and install it clean. Right now it's a whole jumble to wires all over the place and it gets damn confusing.

ironh, was the 8pin connector you connected to secured to a metal bar behind the dashboard? (just trying to clarify we're both looking at pretty much the same systems)
Old 10-12-2005, 12:07 AM
ironh19
3rd Gear Member

my 8 pin was just there it wasn't mounted anywhere, the wiring harness I used said it was designed to work with the OEM amps, As of right now it sounds freaking awesome... I have that Dual XDR7700 head unit. If in the future I fry the amps, I will just redesign the sound system. Th harness I bought said made for vehicles with premium sound and looks nothing like the pic of the harness you have there. my install is complete so I cannot get photos of the wiring. I bought the harness at walmart for like 10 bucks