Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

New alpine installed but humming

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 09:14 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

Default New alpine installed but humming

I need help fellas. I installed the Alpine 9855 in my 01 GT even though I don't know much about car audio. Well everything seems to work fine except for a humming noise comming from the rear speakers and when I do anything like press a button or try to load a cd, all the sounds are amplified through the rear speakers. Is this a bad connection? I messed w/ the balance and fade but nothing removes the humming from the rear speakers...
Old 10-11-2005, 09:25 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New alpine installed but humming

Got to be wiring, if you have the 460 you got the peripheral piece right? Only two things I can think of is... That peripheral piece, and bad wiring. Edit: I looked it up and it doesn't say you need the peropheral piece in the 01, hmmm it's got to be a bad wire, interference somewhere. Sometimes having the shop install it saves you alot of time and aggrevation. If nothing else find out exactly what you need from a shop and do it yourself then.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:43 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

i was just looking at it all and noticed that from the head unit there are 2 thick cables. One goes to the antena the other is supposed to go to the amplifier....does that mean an aftermarket amp or my factory amp needs to be conected to this?
Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

generally, well with all the 460 equipped stangs i've come across theres a peripheral piece you have to buy to equalize the gain settings. It's like $25-30 and you can get it pretty much any local shop or online anywhere. thats what will run to the amp yes.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:04 AM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

I've located the source of this humming noise. I don't think there aren't any wires for my door speakers in the kit...My tweeters and rear speakers work perfectly when I disconected one right front posative and right front negative the humming was gone w/out the 5th speaker set. It's as if there isn't any wires for my door speakers. My car has 6 speakers right? well the kit has only enough wires for 5 i think. I disconected the 5th and now the rear speakers and my tweeters work, but nothing from my door speakers...I didn't know what to do w/ the right front positive and right front negative and everytime I conected it w/ the other positive or negative speaker I got that humming noise. So now i just taped of the ends of the 5th set of speaker wires and I don't have working door speakers? what the hell should I do now? lol

After reading this ^^^^, do you still think I need that periferal piece you were talking about? or is it that they gave me the wrong kit that isn't for the mach460 or something and now I don't have enough speaker wires? when I connect the 5th I get that humming and still no door speakers I don't think...
Old 10-12-2005, 09:18 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

Your almost starting to confuse me now man. I know tons of people that have had problems with there 460 and putting in a new deck, and that peripheral piece is the answer my suggestion buy it hook it up if you still have the problem take it out return it. 95% of the time thats the reason you have problems with the 460 system the other 5% is because of bad wiring.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:43 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

lol I know I was confusing but I didn't know how eles to explane it...I called the people who make the wire kit and they said they don't make one for my car w/ the mach 460. So I'm glad I got the kit I got for free...
Then I called a car audio place and the dude tells me I need new speakers! he says they could wire my door speakers but they would get to hot so I need aftermarket speakers...Is this just a load of sh** like I think it is? and he never once said anything about a peripheral piece like I thought he would
Old 10-13-2005, 11:46 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

He's tapping you up for money. Your speakers are fine.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 PM
seight311
5th Gear Member

I second that. Get so hot? Speakers get warm but nothing your doing would cause a speaker to ignite, or melt for that matter(the voice coils) He didn't mention that peripheral piece to you simply because most people don't know about it, simply because a shop could tell you the only way to bypass the system is to completly re-wire the care, which is what I would recommend doing but it's not necessary. Plus that peripheral piece would only put $8 in their pocket doing the rewire would be almost $75 for them not to mention they'll charge you $150
Old 10-13-2005, 11:52 PM
outlaw01GT
1st Gear Member

lol I knew that guy was bull sh**ing me...does anybody know where to find this peripheral piece? All I want is my damn speakers to all work and I don't want to bypass my factory amps or anything because it wouldn't be as loud just running off the headunit right? What exactly does the peripheral thing do? is it my best option or just the only one I have...?

Quick Reply: New alpine installed but humming