Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Mach 460 Help

Old 03-10-2014, 01:08 AM
cmas1148

Default Mach 460 Help

Ok, I know a thread similar to this has been started many times. I have scowered the internet and Google looking for advice on this fustration system. What I am wanting to do is install a head unit and 4 speakers. Thats it, no factory amps no use of the tweeters, nothing like that. What I have in it, from the pervious owner, is a head unit driving the tweeters and it sounds like garbage. I just need advice on how to get a simple set up, a head unit driving 4 speakers. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2014, 05:05 PM
palomba16

Originally Posted by cmas1148
Ok, I know a thread similar to this has been started many times. I have scowered the internet and Google looking for advice on this fustration system. What I am wanting to do is install a head unit and 4 speakers. Thats it, no factory amps no use of the tweeters, nothing like that. What I have in it, from the pervious owner, is a head unit driving the tweeters and it sounds like garbage. I just need advice on how to get a simple set up, a head unit driving 4 speakers. Thanks!
I know I have a 00 gt very and previous owner has aftermarket radio and the installation kit in it but I'm getting no bass. Only 4 of the 8 speakers putting out sound and its all highs. I was told the amps need to b bypassed. Any info would b great.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:13 AM
RetiredSFC 97
1st Gear Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. You want advice on what to get, or how to go about it?

What to get in my opinion is an Alpine HU with JBL or Infinity Kappa speakers. You can get them in 5x7/6x8 size. They are 2 ohm, but the HU sees 4 ohm because of the wiring typically found in stock configurations and because of that they will produce more sound and better bass and will not harm your HU.

I know you said you didn't want an amp, but I highly recommend the Alpine KTP 445 power pack with this install. It's so easy even a caveman can do it.

As far as going about it surely you have found information on how to replace the HU and speakers. If not, PM me and I will research it and try to help. I have replaced my speakers, but not HU, on my Mustang even though I am new to Mustangs. But there is tons of information on the web about replacing them that I have found.

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 03-27-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:00 PM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

I feel you, I started a thread like a yr ago and no one has even replied to it, it seems the ones who has done this has figured it out and want to keep others from being able to do it.
if you have the stock Head unit and speakers then you have to buy a special adapter for the cables that are plugged into your current radio.
Check out http://www.crutchfield.com/ that is where i found the cables I needed, Now I have not done this YET, not had the extra funds but i do plan to soon.

this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207055...s.html?tp=2977
and this
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207050...s.html?tp=2977
if you want to change out the head unit and to keep the stock amps and speckers all working.

otherwise I guess you could just rip everything out and just buy a new head unit then run all new wires, Personally I would love to keep the front door speakers and just get rid of the box with the amps and 6x9 in the rear ( the box back there takes up to much space i have things to haul in my car) and maybe put some different speakers maybe in the rear seat side panels or something then maybe one 8' or something in the trunk somewhere out of the way.

good luck

and cmas1148 glad to see someone else from GA on here.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:32 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...ach-460-a.html

https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...ease-help.html
Old 03-30-2014, 08:07 AM
palomba16

Well I've check all fuses and maybe amps are bad. I'm going to start to run all new wires to the factory speakers, but I'm ending up with 4 wires from each because the tweeters and woofers are seperate. That's gonna give me 16 wires to the head. Not sure what to do about that.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

no, you don't need to do that. run the woofers and tweeters in parallel; drop a pair of wires from the tweeter to the woofer. If the tweeter doesn't have a capacitor in-line, put a bipolar capacitor in line with the tweeter (first order crossover.) start with maybe a 6.8 uF cap and see how it is.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:08 AM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by palomba16
Well I've check all fuses and maybe amps are bad. I'm going to start to run all new wires to the factory speakers, but I'm ending up with 4 wires from each because the tweeters and woofers are seperate. That's gonna give me 16 wires to the head. Not sure what to do about that.
well I myself would still get a small amp for the woofers, so that mean 4 less wires to the main head unit, then i would take the back tweets and front tweets and wire them together, sure your balance/fade wont work right but does anyone really use those? Okay i have like in one car care needed more tweet up front then rear. then you be all set

I forgot bout the tweets n top the door post, those are nice, i would keep those also, my thing is it a paint to wire straight to them, if you could figure out the wire in the dash it be lot nicer. and faster. I might end up just trying to relocat the back speakers to get that huge box out of the way, i am sure i will loose some bass tho, the stock system has some decent bass.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:31 PM
cmas1148

Thanks for the replies everyone! What I did for now was install the door speakers as well as the rear ones, and since the tweets were close by I just used the tweeter wires and extended them down to the larger speakers. I did this because I planned on putting in a small sub in the future and an amp to drive the whole thing. I am also replacing the carpet in the vehicle as well as adding sound dampening material so that would be the perfct time to run all new wires to everything and knock it all out at once.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Epoweredrc
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by cmas1148
Thanks for the replies everyone! What I did for now was install the door speakers as well as the rear ones, and since the tweets were close by I just used the tweeter wires and extended them down to the larger speakers. I did this because I planned on putting in a small sub in the future and an amp to drive the whole thing. I am also replacing the carpet in the vehicle as well as adding sound dampening material so that would be the perfct time to run all new wires to everything and knock it all out at once.
Cool, hey man what part Ga you in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mach 460 Help