Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Door Tweeters and Door speakers with a Mach 460. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:00 AM
Young_Mustang_27

Default Door Tweeters and Door speakers with a Mach 460. Please Help!

Okay so i recently bought a 1996 Mustang from an auction and it already came with a Mach 460 system (door tweeters, rear deck speakers, door speakers). The only thing was, the two amps in the trunk were torn out and just randomly plugged in as well as a ton of Amp and sub wires just hanging around. There was a plug that i connected to this cheap JVC head unit i had and the only thing working was the Door tweeter from the driver side. So I decided to tear out all the old wires, and i properly rewired a lot of wires using a wiring diagram and i ended up getting the rear deck speakers working including the door tweeter in the driver side which was already working. So my question is:

How can i get the door speakers on both driver and passenger side working?

How do i get the passenger side door tweeter working?

Since i directly connected the color coded wires to the head unit, did i bypass the amp? How am i sure that i properly connected the amps?

thank you in advance to whoever helps out!
Old 02-26-2014, 11:01 AM
Young_Mustang_27

I dont think i was clear, but the amps in the trunk looked as if he just tore his out and put the stock ones back in. Im assuming he had a crazy set up which is why whoever the previous owner was, he did that.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM
Young_Mustang_27

Also! sorry for the people who help out and read all this lol, but how do i get access to the amp inside of the dash behind the head unit? Does that front amp affect the sound that i am not getting from the door speakers and passenger door tweeter?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:11 AM
jz78817
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Young_Mustang_27
How can i get the door speakers on both driver and passenger side working?
the door speakers are powered by the amps in the trunk (which you know already.) They should be connected to the pre-outs on your new head unit. If they still don't work, then you'll have to do more wiring/circuit checks.

How do i get the passenger side door tweeter working?
get an ohm meter and make sure the passenger door tweeter isn't burned out.

Since i directly connected the color coded wires to the head unit, did i bypass the amp? How am i sure that i properly connected the amps?

thank you in advance to whoever helps out!
in the factory setup, the tweeters and rear deck speakers are driven by the radio. So that's why you've got them working now ('cept the one tweeter.) The signal to the amps for the door speakers came from an "aux" output on the factory radio, which was a line-level/pre-out. find the input wires to the amps in the trunk, and connect them to one of the preouts on your new radio. The remote turn-on lead from your new radio should go to the enable/clip-detect wire on the amplifiers. At this point, you should be getting sound from the door woofers.
Old 02-26-2014, 03:50 PM
Young_Mustang_27

Thanks for your response! Do you know what color is the wires for the the two door speakers? The color codes i have is:

left front + : orange/light green
left front - : light blue/white
right front + : white/light green
right front - : dark green/orange

Im assuming those colors are for the tweeters only?

If my rear deck speakers are working, that would mean that my amps are good right?