Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Help ! No sound from speakers only sub

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 12:39 PM
Roar

Default Help ! No sound from speakers only sub

Hi,

I have a 2006 GT that came with the Shaker 1000. HU is upgraded to a Pioneer AVH-X5700DAB (i live in Norway so it is an EU unit). All speakers are upgraded to Pioneer, Kicker, Alpine units. Stock Shaker 1000 subs still in the rear.

The problem: Everything has been working great but suddenly the speakers have stopped working. I only have sound from the rear subwoofers.

I have checked all fuses, engine compartment and interior fuse box. Connectors at the amplifiers in the kickpanel is ok. Amplifier in the HU is ok (i connected a separate speaker directly to test)

Any ideas? Smart Juncion Box programming lost? Stock kickpanel amplifiers defective?

Any input is appreciated....
Old 06-05-2016, 01:33 PM
Roar

Some more investigation today and I dont get this...

As far as I car read from the wiring diagrams the front speakers (midrange+ tweeters) as well as the rear speakers are wired directly to the head unit. They are all dead but there is sound if I connect a speaker directly to the back of the headunit but ONLY if the speaker outputs are disconnected from the car wiring. If I had a short somewhere it should affect only one speaker...not all four right?

The front woofers are wired to the two kickpanel amplifers which in turn goes to the same output and trigger wire from the headunit as the rear amps and subwoofers do.

I have sound in the trunk subwoofer only so how can this be when they get signals from the same source as the front woofers that have no sound??

I could have blown a speaker, but 6 speakers at the same time? No way!!

Come to think of...is there a mute from the smart junction box that overrides everything? If so all speaker wires must pass through the SJB and it dont seem like in on the wiring diagrams..

Last edited by Roar; 06-05-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:53 PM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm guessing you found the prob "
If I had a short somewhere it should affect only one speaker...not all four right?
No, the output may have gone into protection mode and turned off all of the outputs.
The signal to the amp probably comes from a separate connector on the head unit.

If you OHM out each speaker wire at the head unit with the head unit unplugged, I'm guessing you will find a shorted (near zero ohm) speaker. Probable a frayed or pinched wire.
Old 06-05-2016, 02:34 PM
Roar

Seems plausible. I'll check that tomorrow. Thanks!
Old 06-06-2016, 03:45 PM
Roar

Yup ! There was actually two shorts in the right door.

Wires to the fullrange speaker was pinched and frayed, fixed that and the sound came back. The Pioneer unit went into protect mode and shut off everything.

I also had a short in the connector on the door woofer (Kicker unit). I fixed it but it seems to have shorted out the amplifier. I guess the stock amps dont have a protect mode like the Pioneer does?