Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Convertible Audio Build Help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 08:04 AM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

Default Convertible Audio Build Help!

So I pretty much don't know anything about shopping for car audio. So many choices.

I just bought a 14' convertible with non-shaker audio and its awful and needs an upgrade.

I don't need navigation but I'd like a screen on the headunit for a backup camera. I don't want to cut any extra holes in my car for speakers so I plan to reuse the current convertible speaker locations and maybe mount some tweeters on the dash. I'd like to be able to hear quality sound at highway speeds with the top down. So I figure I will need a speaker amp for that. I do enjoy being able to hear the lows but I don't need a large base to thump the car. I thought it would be clever to have a set of 6.5s that specialized in lows for the rear seats, normal mids for the front doors, and tweeters mounted on top of the dash on the sides for the highs.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend 1000 total. I have no idea how much installs cost yet so maybe I'm being too optimistic. My local car audio shop is closed on weekends so I will be getting quotes tomorrow.

Without your help, I am at the mercy of the audio shop. I will basically say "this is my budget, HALP ME!"
Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 PM
wudwork

Default Here is what NOT to do !

I have 2013 convertible, with Sync. I wanted GPS and bluetooth for phone. At the time, generation 1 of THIS was the only real option. It does work, but nowhere near worth the cost. The firmware was developed by someone who does not drive a car!!!. So much of the display is very small text, layout is not organized etc. Mine freezes up so much that I now hang a small paperclip from the radios access door so I can reboot it while driving. YES its true it has VERY good integration with steering controls and all control buttons/***** and it was the only one that had the display mounted as high on dash as possible (others were very low to dash thus you had to look too far down to see screen). After all that is said, opening the roof pretty much washes this screen out completely. Anywhere near decent sunshine and you will easily see all the fingerprints and smudge marks on the screen. You simply cannot see the display info at all. So, avoid this unit if possible.

Originally Posted by deltafool117
So I pretty much don't know anything about shopping for car audio. So many choices.

I just bought a 14' convertible with non-shaker audio and its awful and needs an upgrade.

I don't need navigation but I'd like a screen on the headunit for a backup camera. I don't want to cut any extra holes in my car for speakers so I plan to reuse the current convertible speaker locations and maybe mount some tweeters on the dash. I'd like to be able to hear quality sound at highway speeds with the top down. So I figure I will need a speaker amp for that. I do enjoy being able to hear the lows but I don't need a large base to thump the car. I thought it would be clever to have a set of 6.5s that specialized in lows for the rear seats, normal mids for the front doors, and tweeters mounted on top of the dash on the sides for the highs.

Anyway, I'm looking to spend 1000 total. I have no idea how much installs cost yet so maybe I'm being too optimistic. My local car audio shop is closed on weekends so I will be getting quotes tomorrow.

Without your help, I am at the mercy of the audio shop. I will basically say "this is my budget, HALP ME!"
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 PM
deltafool117
1st Gear Member

Please direct future comments to the new thread I started.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/audi...dio-build.html