Notices
Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Trying to make space.

Old 07-02-2018, 08:17 PM
MrSlaps

Default Trying to make space.

Hey all, I've got a 2004 mustang coupe. I've been pondering on how to make more room in my car. I was thinking is it a bad idea to remove the rear speaker deck? I've got a sub back there in the trunk . Ive already replaced my frontf speakers. The rears are stock . Ib theory, if I removed the deck I could push my sub box all the way in allowing more room. Hm?
Old 07-03-2018, 02:05 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSlaps View Post
Hey all, I've got a 2004 mustang coupe. I've been pondering on how to make more room in my car. I was thinking is it a bad idea to remove the rear speaker deck? I've got a sub back there in the trunk . Ive already replaced my frontf speakers. The rears are stock . Ib theory, if I removed the deck I could push my sub box all the way in allowing more room. Hm?
As in cut the metal of the rear deck completely out?

I don't know if affects structural integrity but the added noise from the trunk would probably nullify any space advantages. The trunk would act as an amplifier for any noise from the rear tires and exhaust and with the rear deck completely missing, it would just go into the passenger compartment.

What kind of enclosure are the subs in? Bass notes are omni-directional and penetrate most low density obstacles without any problems. Low density would be your back seats and thin sheet metal in the rear deck (which isn't solid anyways).

They make rear seat delete kits that could probably be modified to have the sub poke through while still keeping the trunk isolated from the passenger compartment. That would be the best option IMO.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:16 PM
MrSlaps

Originally Posted by Derf00 View Post
As in cut the metal of the rear deck completely out?

I don't know if affects structural integrity but the added noise from the trunk would probably nullify any space advantages. The trunk would act as an amplifier for any noise from the rear tires and exhaust and with the rear deck completely missing, it would just go into the passenger compartment.

What kind of enclosure are the subs in? Bass notes are omni-directional and penetrate most low density obstacles without any problems. Low density would be your back seats and thin sheet metal in the rear deck (which isn't solid anyways).

They make rear seat delete kits that could probably be modified to have the sub poke through while still keeping the trunk isolated from the passenger compartment. That would be the best option IMO.
I've got a single vent 12 inch box back there. Ah that makes sense. I just thought I could be creative with out ruining the music quality.