Bullitt Mustangs

Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Imfamouz_Duche

Default Upgrades

hey guys im a noob on this,

but i was wondering about bullitt upgrades what is best to do for money? i just got and o/r x pipe, and was thinking gears or saving up for a decent cam, any help

Thanks,
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Welcome! Gears, tune, and exhaust is a great place to start. What kind of goals do you have for the car?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Imfamouz_Duche

im not sure, its my only car as of now and its my daily driver so idk right now minor mods to get me just enough power until i want more lol but the tunes dont really work the only thing that does is the Sniper software and do it myself sct gained me only 2 rwhp over stock, so im thinking about other things before i dish out money for the software
Old 02-08-2010, 05:41 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I would suggest GEARS next! I have had the stock 3.27s, 3.73s, and currently 4.10s. If I were doing it from scratch again, I would definitely go with 3.90 gears. I find the revs of the 4.10s just a little more than I like for my daily driver. It is not the revs at cruising speed as much as how quickly you have to row thru the gears. The 3.73s were VERY GOOD street gears, but I went to 4.10s to get the benefit at the strip. NOTE: you will need a hand held tuner (I went with SCT) to set your speedometer after the change of gearing. Those 2 mods will put a smile on your face.

As far as cams go... I went with the HiTech Stage 2 cams and like them a lot!!! I added long tube headers at the same time and gained ~45 RWHP. It pulls much harder above 4000rpms now.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
NeedStangSpeed
3rd Gear Member

How new are you to this stuff? If your completly new, I wouldn't recommend cams anytime soon unless your going to pay somebody to put them in even that it may take your car out of service for a day or two. Plus cams will put you back $400+ for just the cams. Might gain between 15 to 25 HP, not as affective without the other mods to help take for advantage of the cams. Got to open up the air in and exhaust out to maximize HP on the upgrade. Depends on your budget. Gears are a must for the garage to get them dialed in right, unless you have the tools and know how. I had 3:90's and they worked for me and I liked them. What part of Cali are you in? Mabye run into some emmision problems? As far as SCT goes, it's better with a custom dyno tune. Canned tunes are based off an average and even if your send your specs in it's still based of the average with those mods. I had SCT for my car, dyno tuned, and was able to straiten out the A/F ratio thru out the RPM range. Something you can not do with a canned tune.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Imfamouz_Duche

well i justdidnt want to fiddle around with alot of bolt ons i wanted to get right into a cam, all my buddies did every bolt on imaginable and have a diablo tuner and they are still the same as me both racing and dyno numbers, so i was thinking maybe gears or saving up for a cam and dyno tune (the only tune i'd do), what do you suggest i do to take advantage of cam, i see you had a bullitt, headers? i noticed a pretty good difference just by taking my cats off
Old 02-09-2010, 11:22 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Gears and long tubes will really complement the cams.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:02 PM
crash
BrandofPoop

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Gears and long tubes will really complement the cams.
^This, I have 3.73's and love em, cams n lt's will be a nice addition.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:48 AM
V8 Junkie

Gears are always nice. I love my 3.73s. I would hold off on cams and exhaust until you get a plan of what you want to do with your Bullitt. I'm a perfect example of poor planning. I'm selling a Vortech SQ-Trim with a power pipe and aftecooler (not installed yet) and now I'm getting an aluminator and a Hellion Turbo kit. I just threw away money basically, because I'm not going to get what I paid for the blower. So plan ahead for what you really want. I have always wanted a turbo setup and just settled for a blower since it was cheaper.

Cliff notes:
Plan out what you want to do and then do it.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:27 PM
bigbadbert

All good advice. Gears are great bang for the buck, but just take into consideration what kind of highway/city driving you do before choosing. As stated, if you want cams, you might be slightly disappointed in the performance without long tubes to go with them. Then you need to decide if you ever want to swap out heads in the future. If you do, you might as well just save up for all of it at once.