Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

2012 Calendar of Events

Old 12-26-2011, 07:32 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Default 2012 Calendar of Events

Greetings guys and gals. At our last gatherings we discussed several things we could do in the coming year. I thought I would start a new thread about some opportunities/events for 2012. I think we can have a really good year. I will just start listing them and look for feedback from the group. We seem to do well as a committee. We can start separate threads for specific activities if it would make it easier to keep track of.

The time changes on March 11th. We had talked about a Raleigh GTG. What if we looked at March 17th, 24th or 31st as possible dates? It is about time we headed Larry's direction for a gathering.

Tail of the Dragon Spring run. Since Easter is on the 8th, how about Arpil 21st or 28th as possible dates. It may be a little cool still, but I would honestly like to see a smaller crowd the next time we are back. I think we could take the same route up as we did the last time. I would probably pass on the picnic just to save some room in the car. We could possibly stay in Robbinsville at the Microtel (cheap with good ratings). I would like to run the Dragon on Sunday morning like some did.

Tail of the Dragon Fall run - maybe late October or early November - again to try to beat the crowds.

Some of the group has been on Diamondback, Hwy 226A from Marion to Little Switzerland. It is like a mini Dragon. Little Switzerland is adjacent to the Blue Ridge Parkway. We could work our way back down the Parkway towards Boone/Blowing Rock. This is an easy day run with some great mountain roads. This could be a May event.

Ford Nationals, June 1-3 - Carlisle, PA I don't know much about this show, but it seems to draw quite a crowd. It is a long drive to Carlisle.

Mustang Week - July 16-22. I think Sean said he and a group are heading down. I know there is some interest from others. Last year was my first year, I would like to go back.

American Muscle - Malvern, PA held their third annual car show last year. They had over 600 Mustangs in attendance. I have sent Chris a PM to find out if they are having another and if so, what the dates are. It was in August of last year. It is a long drive up, it would be a long weekend to make this one.

Good Guys Southern Nationals - Charlotte Oct 26-28. We really ought to get together around this show. The Good Guys shows are really good from what I hear.

Pilot Mountain Cruise In (May-Oct) and Lenoir Cruise In (April-Oct) - both are held first Saturdays of the month. Both are good events that draw a lot of cars.

Track Day - I would like for someone to find a way to get us on track in a cost effective manner. Volunteers anyone?

Smokey Bones - Greensboro - We can call it Round Three since it is beside Darryl's. The location is easy, the parking is good, the food is great.

Tilted Kilt - Charlotte - Round Three. I missed round one but I think it was three cars, round two was seven cars I believe. Again, good location, good food, good parking, good (great) scenery.

South Carolina GTG - so far we have kept our gatherings in the northern half of our chapter. It is time we headed to the Palmetto state. Maybe Hunter, Clint and Kevin could work on something down their way. Maybe a January or February event.

Please feel free to offer your thoughts. Here's to a great 2012.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 PM
HT
5th Gear Member

A little bit to add on 2 counts:

- Track Day: The best way I can think of for us to do this cost effectively is to team up with another club (or multiple) or just tag along to an event. I know of one that I can look into if we like this idea.

- SC GTG: I vote Greenville for this one. Not too far from Columbia. Not too far from Clemson. Not too far from Charlotte. Any objections?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:16 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

One of the guys at work just came to me all excited. He went to look at a bike this weekend and it turns out the guy has a Speed shop in Level Cross with a 4 wheel Mustang Dyno... and he is a Mustang guy. The owner of the shop has a GT500. Maybe we could see about doing a dyno day? Just for giggles.

I'm not sure how far American Muscle is from Carlisle but maybe if we can get a group to go to Carlisle we could make a stop at AM for a tour or something.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:59 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HT
A little bit to add on 2 counts:

- Track Day: The best way I can think of for us to do this cost effectively is to team up with another club (or multiple) or just tag along to an event. I know of one that I can look into if we like this idea.

- SC GTG: I vote Greenville for this one. Not too far from Columbia. Not too far from Clemson. Not too far from Charlotte. Any objections?
I live 15 minutes from Greenville. There are usually some good events (concerts, Baloon rally, etc) held at the Heritage Park Amphitheatre. Anyone interested in something like that? I'd be glad to coordinate. The amphitheatre is nearly in my backyard. Or we could simply meet there when no events are happening and have a cook out and softball game or something... It's a really nice park. Just throwing out ideas.

Last edited by kzonts; 12-27-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:02 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
One of the guys at work just came to me all excited. He went to look at a bike this weekend and it turns out the guy has a Speed shop in Level Cross with a 4 wheel Mustang Dyno... and he is a Mustang guy. The owner of the shop has a GT500. Maybe we could see about doing a dyno day? Just for giggles.

I'm not sure how far American Muscle is from Carlisle but maybe if we can get a group to go to Carlisle we could make a stop at AM for a tour or something.
Jeff,

That sounds like good fun! Pro Dyno in Fort Mill, SC is another possibility.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

There is also the Greensboro Coliseum which is just down the street from Smokey Bones, they have car shows there sometimes in the spring/summer.

Greenville sounds good!

Last edited by Jeffk; 12-27-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:54 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

I agree, Greenville sounds good to me. Do you want to look at something soon and something later on as well? The winter months are kinda tough, it can be a little cold to stand around in a parking lot.

I heard from Chris at American Muscle - their show date is Aug. 12th with a rain date of the 19th. AM is in Malvern (suburb of Philly), about 100 miles from Carlisle.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:23 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Another possibility is The Snake. Robbie Kiser (11 Black GT at Smokey Bones) went on a run last September with the Cobra Club. Here are a couple links, look over them and offer your thoughts. It might be cold, but we could look at a cold weather mountain run. If anyone is interested, I can get the exact route from Robbie.

http://www.421thesnake.com/home.cfm

Their basic route - http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...m&z=9&dirflg=d

Video from the trip - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L_v0wiRmRU
Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

The Snake would be great. I'm up for it.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

The Snake looks interesting.

Like the new Sigs Alan and Kevin.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 Calendar of Events