Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

May Need Some Help Restoring a Car...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:23 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Hunter, sorry for your loss, but it's good to know that he battled it for so long. Don't let the bony bastard have it easy, that's what I say.
The Chevy 350 (and the smallblock Chevy in general) is one of the greatest motors ever made on the planet, bar none, which is why you will find so many of them under hot rod hoods. I'd dig into some junkyards and find an HEI distributor for it (that's the one with the coil in the cap) just because points are a PITA, but some Marvel Mystery Oil, fresh oil/gas, probably belts and hoses, clean that carb really good, add some fuel systems cleaner to the first couple of tankfulls and you should be off to the races. You're going to have to run it for a while to get the rings to seat again and it will probably smoke like a freight train until then but the Marvel Mystery Oil should loosen everything up. If all else fails I have been known to rebuild a Q-jet or two, and I have a spreadbore Edelbrock in the shed that needs some choke pieces if there is any interest (I was going to put it on the old '62 C10 but decided not to). I also know how to adjust valves in the smallblock Chevy, simple simple, I could probably talk you through it (loosen them till they tap, tighten them till they don't, give them another 1/4 turn).
It ain't no Mustang, but it's a fitting tribute. Let me know if/how I can help.