Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

NVH problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 09:08 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Default NVH problems

FYI kind of a rant/logic process. So on the trip up to the dragon I started noticing a noise. I talked to a few of you about it. It only occurs on coasting/deceleration either in gear or out. The car develops a slight shudder, similar to bogging down the engine but not as pronounced. From what I can find in the manuals and my own playing around, it is not the engine or transmission due to it being speed related (50mph+) and happens in gear and out. Ford listed possible causes as incorrect alignment, wheel balance, driveshaft balance/u-joints, or incorrect pinion angle.

I"m going to get an alignment sometime this week since i've already paid for it, but I doubt that is the problem because it almost feels like its from the rear of the car. Wheel balance also doesnt seem to be the culprit since its only during decel, but while I'm getting it aligned might as well check.

This leaves the driveshaft imbalance, u-joints, or incorrect angle. The car is near stock height in the rear, but I can cross my fingers and its not like Jason isn't going to talk all of us into upgrading every part of our cars he can. I eventually plan to upgrade all of the rear control arms but I"ve used up my lunch money till sometime next year.
I just hope its not the driveshaft. The guy I bought it from ran it on the track with nitrous and drag radials, so it could be the u-joints going out already. I didn't notice this when I installed that, only after I did the header install. It might have been there the whole time and I just didn't notice it until I got to all the hills in NC. So here's to hoping I don't have to get it rebalanced or u-joints replaced.

Last edited by clowe1965; 11-05-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:50 AM
jayman33
Banned

Sorry bro, I think you need some new parts! Lol check your u joint, make sure not a single bolt for the DS install came loose, any unbalance in that drive shaft and you'll feel it.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:06 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

You could always re-install the stock driveshaft and see if it goes away too.

I know you said it feels like it's coming from the rear but I had a 60+ mph shake/shudder that was a slightly warped brake rotor.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:26 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Well i checked the driveshaft last night, nothing seems out of place. All the bolts are still there and snug. Not sure how to check the u joints, cant exactly get it spinning up fast enough by hand. Have to go to the alignment shop on sunday and see if thats the culprit. How did you check your rotors, just get them turned and it went away?
Old 11-07-2012, 07:14 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

O'Reilly auto turns rotors for like $15 each. I went through ball joints, 3 tire balancing trips before I finally tried that and it worked.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
O'Reilly auto turns rotors for like $15 each. I went through ball joints, 3 tire balancing trips before I finally tried that and it worked.
O good, bout 2 miles from the house. If only it was an excuse I could use to get new brakes.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:57 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Check with that store before you tear it apart in case it is a regional thing.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:30 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Well went to get the front end realigned and found a problem, not sure if it is the problem. My driver's side front wheel has -2.18 degrees of camber on it, and no way to adjust it. Other wheel is .09+.

So now when I get enough saved up I'm going caster/camber plates, Koni Yellows, Steeda Boss springs, and probably an adjustable panhard. Depending on how much the rear sticks to one side or the other I might forgo the panhard and save up for a watts link but IDK. When I finally get enough for all of that it might be time for new tires so it will be a battle between all of that and new rims.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:48 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Get the pan hard. Unless you are going to race it all the time it will be overkill. I asked one of the guys at Pro-Dyno about it. They asked if I was going to race it a lot and when I said no, they said spend your money elsewhere.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

I can't remember what all front suspension mods you have Clint but did they give you any idea as to what is causing the front end to be out that bad?

Quick Reply: NVH problems