Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

What are you working on?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

So I'm a little PO'd right now. I went to get the two right side wheels cured of the curb rash and also have the right rear wheel straightened to get rid of the side-to-side wobble it's had for a little over a year.

A little background. I bought the tires from the Ford dealer when I had them replaced and thats when the wobble came up. I took it back immediately and they couldn't find anything wrong and blamed a bent rim, at which point they went into "not our fault" mode and wouldn't do anything else. At that point I decided I won't buy another tire from Ford, ever.

Anyhow, they get done with the wheels and I asked how bad the wheel was bent and they say "It wasn't."

I look at the tires and on the left rear there is a band about 2-3" wide on the inside of the tire that is worn smooth about 1/3 of the way around, the rest of the tread looks fine. Bottom line, the tire on the left rear was bad when it went on the car.

So, I stopped into the Pep Boys and they bent over backwards to get and install two Hankook 245/45-19 Ventus V12s on the rear and the wobble is completely gone. A little sooner than I wanted to replace tires, and now I really need to replace the front tires so they are worn evenly but the cheapskate in me really hates to replace them when they are not bad. Needs to be done though.

Taxes have been filed and I have a pretty good refund coming back. Not quite what I intended to do with it, but what the hell, I was going to spend some money with Hypermotive anyway...whaddaya say guys, what kind of price can you get me on a pair of Hankook Ventus V12s in 245/45-19?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lpcard
So I'm a little PO'd right now. I went to get the two right side wheels cured of the curb rash and also have the right rear wheel straightened to get rid of the side-to-side wobble it's had for a little over a year.

A little background. I bought the tires from the Ford dealer when I had them replaced and thats when the wobble came up. I took it back immediately and they couldn't find anything wrong and blamed a bent rim, at which point they went into "not our fault" mode and wouldn't do anything else. At that point I decided I won't buy another tire from Ford, ever.

Anyhow, they get done with the wheels and I asked how bad the wheel was bent and they say "It wasn't."

I look at the tires and on the left rear there is a band about 2-3" wide on the inside of the tire that is worn smooth about 1/3 of the way around, the rest of the tread looks fine. Bottom line, the tire on the left rear was bad when it went on the car.

So, I stopped into the Pep Boys and they bent over backwards to get and install two Hankook 245/45-19 Ventus V12s on the rear and the wobble is completely gone. A little sooner than I wanted to replace tires, and now I really need to replace the front tires so they are worn evenly but the cheapskate in me really hates to replace them when they are not bad. Needs to be done though.

Taxes have been filed and I have a pretty good refund coming back. Not quite what I intended to do with it, but what the hell, I was going to spend some money with Hypermotive anyway...whaddaya say guys, what kind of price can you get me on a pair of Hankook Ventus V12s in 245/45-19?
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Also great choice in tire, I had them on my last car and loved them!
Old 03-08-2013, 09:18 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Got the Borla S-Types installed tonight. Sound pretty good from the cabin, zero drone. Can't wait to hear them from outside.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jeffk
F pypes...piece of garbage company with worse products!! I unfortunately can't always afford the nice stuff so I tried the cheap but after installing these Kooks...next time I will wait and get the good stuff.

Like the Borlas I just ordered from JJ...
So does this mean the others don't have to be fixed? I can still try btw, then you can sell them.

Alan are the borla's closer to that roush sound you wanted?
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Glad you got the wobble fixed, glad it wasn't the wheel. Hate you had to spend the money for tires.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:13 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

I was going to get new tires anyway, just not so soon. I was hoping to get another 10K out of them, and looking at the other 3 could have done so very easily. The last set had one that went bad as well, so I think I'm done with Pirelli.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:31 AM
lpcard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
Installing Borla S-Types tonight, found a nice used set in DC. Had an interesting route back to here, the dude wanted cash only. I had to get a friend of my son-in-law's to pick them up. So, DC, to Raleigh, Greensboro for dinner with the kids tonight (and muffler pick up) and then back to Hickory for the install.

Impatiently waiting.........
Hah, y'know when I was still debating what I wanted to do with the exhaust I thought to myself "I'll just wait until Alan changes his and get the GT-500 axlebacks from him and do a resonator delete." I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:42 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by alan0614
Got the Borla S-Types installed tonight. Sound pretty good from the cabin, zero drone. Can't wait to hear them from outside.
Nice Alan! Can't wait until I get to see the beast. Hopefully this year. :-)
Old 03-09-2013, 06:43 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Hah, y'know when I was still debating what I wanted to do with the exhaust I thought to myself "I'll just wait until Alan changes his and get the GT-500 axlebacks from him and do a resonator delete." I knew it was going to happen sooner or later.
Larry, you're a genius!!!!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Just to clear the suspense since I know everyone is wondering what I'm working on. :-)

I'll be fertilizing my lawn and trimming bushes either this weekend or next. I plan to attach the fertilizer hopper to the Stang and drive around the lawn. LOL! Hopefully there won't be any calls from work to distract me.

Quick Reply: What are you working on?