Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Need Lowering Advice!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 03:53 PM
2013mustang5.ohh
1st Gear Member

Default Need Lowering Advice!

Alright so im wanting to lower the car, only problem is im not trying to spend an arm and a leg to do it, meaning im not trying to spend a grand to lower it, not meaning to sound cheap but im kinda limited at the moment on what i can spend, so whats some different options i could choose from?? Thanks!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:02 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

If you just need the basics, most guys go with Eibach Sportlines from what I've seen. From my hands on experience, the Sportlines lower the car the most (compared to the Eibach Pro kit), but still offers good comfort. If you don't believe me, ask my wife! She has the Sportline kit on her car, and she's not one to really modify cars, but she absolutely loves it.

Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs Mustang V6/GT

Match that Eibach kit up there with a good panhard bar like the one I have on my Mustang from Hotchkis, and you're all set. Reason why you need this panhard bar is because when you lower live rear axle vehicles, the axle shifts over depending on how much you lower it. For you, you'll need to adjust about 1/4" of an inch over back to center after it's lowered, so you really do require it. Luckily though, they're not too expensive:

Hotchkis Adjustable Panhard Rod Mustang

Hope that helps!
Old 10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
2013mustang5.ohh
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ModBargains
If you just need the basics, most guys go with Eibach Sportlines from what I've seen. From my hands on experience, the Sportlines lower the car the most (compared to the Eibach Pro kit), but still offers good comfort. If you don't believe me, ask my wife! She has the Sportline kit on her car, and she's not one to really modify cars, but she absolutely loves it.

Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs Mustang V6/GT

Match that Eibach kit up there with a good panhard bar like the one I have on my Mustang from Hotchkis, and you're all set. Reason why you need this panhard bar is because when you lower live rear axle vehicles, the axle shifts over depending on how much you lower it. For you, you'll need to adjust about 1/4" of an inch over back to center after it's lowered, so you really do require it. Luckily though, they're not too expensive:

Hotchkis Adjustable Panhard Rod Mustang

Hope that helps!
Sweet that helps a lot! Thanks! and one other question, ive seen a bunch of people talking about when they lowered these cars they had to replace the C/C Plates?? I know i had to on my old 97 Cobra i had but i wasnt sure on this '13
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
ModBargains
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2013mustang5.ohh
Sweet that helps a lot! Thanks! and one other question, ive seen a bunch of people talking about when they lowered these cars they had to replace the C/C Plates?? I know i had to on my old 97 Cobra i had but i wasnt sure on this '13
You don't necessarily need to. When you lower a car, you typically get more negative camber out of the fronts (not the rears since it's live axle). I lowered my car a significant amount, and the camber on mine isn't excessive. Honestly I would say replace the springs, and get an alignment AFTER you've driven on them for about 200-250 miles to let those springs settle in, and you're good to go. Camber/Caster plates aren't necessarily for most daily driving applications, but typically needed to add in negative camber for track days and road racing. Some guys get camber bolts which are a cheap mod that will correct the issue, but I never needed them on my build, so I don't typically recommend them off the bat, I usually just explain that I never needed it, and I'm lowered more than 99% of the users on this forum more than likely. I cannot stick my finger between the top of the tire and the fender on the front, and rear, and I scrape everything underneath the car over speed bumps, and since I didn't need it, I didn't bother, at least for now.

Of course, it's always nice to have, just in case, and hell, they're cheap:

Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber Bolt Kit: Mustang

I suggest those since you want to limit how much you spend. If this build of yours had an unlimited amount of budget, then of course I'd be recommending camber plates, just because they're a more solid mod than just the bolts.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

I don't have C/C plates on my set up... talk to the guys with Hypermotive for recommendations and advice. That's how I ended up with my setup and I love it.
Old 10-03-2013, 05:05 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

I have a set of Hotchkis springs and freedom Racing adjustable Panhard and Eibach camber bolts for sale. I have had them for a while and would make you a good deal.
Shohorse(Steve) has the same setup on his car.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:00 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Lowering with just the springs will cause excessive camber and uneven tire wear up front, that is why we use our strut mounts, in addition to being stronger they have room for camber adjustment, the stock ones don’t.

Camber bolts are a more cost effective way of trying to get around using strut mounts, they have less room for adjustment (about ½ degree vs 1-1.5 degrees with mounts) and are an eccentric bolt. Under shock loads they can shift and cause changes in alignment settings.

You can check out our suspension parts here:

http://www.steeda.com/store/ford-mus...sion-paks.html

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 10-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Get the stuff from DK Pony....It's quality stuff. I have hotchkis springs on mine.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:08 PM
SHOHORSE
5th Gear Member

+1^^^^
Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

I vote BMR springs. Used them on my 05gt and gives a nice ride with perfect stance. Throw in an adj. Panhard bar, then go to any auto parts store (that's worth a hoot) and get a set of camber bolts (you will need them to get the alignment right). Done, and you won't break the bank.

Quick Reply: Need Lowering Advice!