Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

Why did you buy a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:19 PM
VTintheBurg540

Default Why did you buy a Mustang?

Hey guys,

I thought this would be a good forum topic for everyone to share their experience on why they decided to buy a Mustang over another car.

The reason I chose my Mustang is really due to my current job where I get to work with a lot of different cars at a rental agency and I always thought that the Mustangs held up the best under really tough conditions that customers put rentals through compared to some of the Camaros and Challengers that we carry.

I also come from a Ford owning family, my dad has owned just about every Ford under the sun and was a teenager in southern California during the late 60's and used to race them. I guess his love affair with fords ended up rubbing off on me!

-Bean
Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 PM
Zodiac
5th Gear Member

My first car was an 86 Mustang Convertible. I always loved Mustangs and naturally fell into the right one. When it came time to get a new car the first and only one that came to mind was the 2013 Mustang GT... the green definitely helped. Unfortunately I sold it and miss it like crazy and most likely will be replaced with another because I love the community, the vast array of parts, and the platform. Long live american muscle.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

My first was a 2001 white gt. It was the only new sports car in my price range. Later traded it in on a new 2003 Zo6. The wife and I had that for a year, but when she got pregnant we traded it for a quad cab truck. Down the road, and after another kid, I bought a 1999 c5 then traded it for a 2005 c6 after about 6 months. Had it for almost a year when both my girls said, "Dad, we want to go for a ride in the hot-rod". I looked at them, looked back at the car, looked at the wife, looked back at the car, looked back at the wife and said, "Get in". We left the kids with grandma and I drove to Ford. I test drove a white 5.0 with Roush upgrades on it. They wouldn't drop the price to what I wanted and saw the black 2012 with the stripes. They dropped the price on that one to what I wanted. Bought it drove home and took the kids for a ride in the hot-rod. The rest is history....Well, not really history...More like my current build...LMAO
Old 01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Shellback
4th Gear Member

My first car was a '57 Chevy.
Second car was a TR-6.
Marriage and traded the TR-6 for a VW camper. Family cars followed, it's what happens. Then in November of 2012 I ordered my first Mustang, in January I was called into the dealership. I learned the Ford had cancelled my order on the GT/CS. They found one in another state that was almost what I wanted. In a week they called me back into the dealership and told me I could order a 2014 GT/CS, but it was only January 2013? I went ahead and ordered the new car (which is the same car I had ordered in November, but cost me more).

I am enjoying the heck out of my GT/CS.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:35 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Great idea for a thread!!!!

In high school I used to have a old Chevy Nova and used to hate mustangs, just because it was the thing the "cool" rednecks did lol. So I picked a race with a girl I had a huge crush on that drove a 88 mustang GT auto in hopes that I would impress her. She absolutely blew the doors off my little nova, so after the embarrassment subsided I knew I had to have a Mustang. It began with a 1991 Bimini blue LX 5.0..... That one was followed by:

Silver 1993 LX coupe
Black 1993 SVT Cobra
Black 1989 GT (supercharged, then turbocharged, then supercharged again w/a built 306 with alum heads/cam/intake)
Red 1990 LX hatch (nitrous, C-4, stock block -heads/cam/intake)
Silver 2001 GT (bolt on's and nitrous)
White 2002 GT
Blue 1993 LX convertible (alum headed 308 DSS motor)
Maroon 1987 LX hatch
Blue 2005 GT (FRPP intake and cams,LTs, gear)
And of course the current 2007 GT500

Yeah, I guess I like mustangs. It's a sickness really lol.....

Toss in 2 lightnings, 3 highly modified Turbo Buicks, a low mileage 1987 Buick GN, three F-body Camaro's, a 300C SRT8, and a 2010 dodge challenger RT, and that's pretty much my whole vehicular history.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Grew up in a Ford family, first car in 1975 (the year Jeff was born I think) was a Mercury Cougar. 2 BB, 351W with an auto, green with black vinyl top. Minor upgrades, 4 bbl, American Butterflys, etc. and then the family started.

My first Mustang was a 66 fastback, GT clone that I helped my dad build. I bought it from him. We kept it a few years and then found a new home for it. Went without a Mustang for 20+ years and found a 2010 GT automatic. I wasn't happy with the auto and found the identical car in a 2012 5.0. We traded and were really happy with the car until I found the Shelby.

Found the Shelby, found out the history on the car and was made an offer that I couldn't really pass up. I have been really happy with the car, especially since I have been able to leave it completely stock. (Love ya Jeff, just not like a man loves a woman).
Old 01-30-2014, 08:57 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Oh damn....Guess I should have listed everything prior to my first Mustang...LOL
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Vosker
2nd Gear Member

I've always like the mustangs looks and style but my family has always been Chevy men. Which I wouldn't mind having the new Corvette but the Mustang was and always will be my favorite muscle car, and I didn't really have a choice on the Mustang. My dad was borrowing it until he got his truck fixed, and I asked for it and I got it so technically I haven't bought my first Mustang yet. But I will a little further down the line.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:41 PM
DK Pony
4th Gear Member

Oh where to start..

My first car was a 1971 Pinto that had been sitting in my Grandparents back yard for several years. If you can get it running you can have it is what I was told and that is all it took for a 15 year old.
1976 Toyota Celica
1978 Toyota Celica
1979 Camaro Supercharged 350. I got my butt kicked at a red light race by a Mustang 5.0 LX. That would have been 1985-86 ish, and I was impressed with the Stang.
1971 Camaro
1979 Jeep Wagoneer
1975 Jeep CJ-5
1982 Jeep CJ-7
1997 Jeep TJ
1998 Jeep TJ
1999 Jeep TJ
1964 VW Bug
1967 VW Bug
1971 VW Bug
1970 VW Westfalia
Of course these are just MY cars..Kim always had her own car too.
My wife wanted another convertible after all the Jeeps and we decided on a 2008 Mustang Convertible. We found the forum shortly after and Alan invited us to ride along on the Dragon run. We just fell in love with the Mustang and only kept it 9 months before getting the 2013 V6 Convertible.

Last edited by DK Pony; 01-30-2014 at 09:49 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:18 PM
GT500Steve
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper_GT
Oh damn....Guess I should have listed everything prior to my first Mustang...LOL
I decided I might as well get it out there.... The good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm totally jealous about the Z06 you posted about. Always wanted one..... Must be like a go-cart on steroids lol!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy a Mustang?