Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Rolled my fender lip

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:11 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I would actually loan it to you guys at no charge. But, it cost over $40 to ship it to Alaska. $40 there and $40 back is not feasible. I think you guys would be better off renting one down there. I bet rental fee and shipping would be cheaper than $80.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:15 PM
JamesW

I forgot you're in Alaska. 8 degrees...omggg..
Old 12-21-2008, 07:17 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Off Topic... Whats the best way to do this while the car is having all the body work done? I'm heading up in Jan for 2 months to prep the car for paint and would love to roll all the wheel wells at that time prior to paint. Rubber hammer? Baseball bat?

Back on topic.. I've seen these before and think they would be THE way to do it. No place around to rent them from up there and I'm sure I wouldn't want to rent one for 2 months.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

I would imagine you could do it either way before paint. You could use a hammer and not worry about scratching the paint. The roller is the best in my opinion though. You can roll it and not have to worry about denting the contour of the wheel well. I have seen people do it on the car with a hammer. If you had a leather bag filled with sand you could use that as the dolly. If you do it with a hammer, you want to take your time and do it a little at a time. There are people on e-bay that rent them too.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:46 AM
blackball

Default Great Information!

Thank you for the information. This is a great excellent example of the kind of quality knowledge I have found on this forum.

I just painted my Mustang and I wish I had done this prior to paint. Since I am still in my "perfect paint" honeymoon phase, is it possible to perform this procedure without damaging the paint at all?

FYI - Mustang Monthly ran a "How To" story on this very same modification in the April 2007 issue on page 76. For those of you who live in the L.A. or Southern California areas, they gave the name of a shop who might be able to help.

Marlo's Frame & Alignment
10225 Canoga Avenue
Chatsworth, CA 91311
(818) 341-0940

For the record I have never done business with the aforementioned shop therefore, I can give no positive or negative feedback. I simply included this contact information for the benefit of other forum users.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:51 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Hey Blackball, welcome to the forum. You should be able to do this without damage to the paint if you use a heat gun. If you are really cautious, run some masking tape on the lip where the roller wheel makes contact. The roller wheel is pretty soft but you may want that extra insurance.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:58 AM
blackball

Good advice on applying masking tape to the inner lip of the fender before making contact with the roller wheel. It is a simple and inexpensive precautionary measure that falls under the heading of "Better safe than sorry (and pissed)". I will most certainly follow your guidance.

Thank you.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Just goes to show, there is a proper tool for everything. I really like the backspacing tool. Nice job.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:05 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the comments guys. I actually purchased both tools off e-bay. I never knew the wheelrite existed until I seen a picture of one that JamesW had posted. If I lived in the lower 48 I would have been glad to share the fender lip roller. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll be living in Nevada where I can drive my car in the winter Wait a minute, is there a winter in Nevada?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:44 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Actually it does get cold in nevada, but it probably doesn't compare to your winter just move to socal to eliminate seasons all together haha

Looks like those tools did a real nice job, now post pics when you get those monster tires on

Quick Reply: Rolled my fender lip