Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

My Mustang's Former Life...

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:27 PM
Carlos Pineiro
3rd Gear Member

Default My Mustang's Former Life...

If you read this forum, it won't take long to get to know the owners of some great cars who post here.

I'm guessing that most of us aren't the original owners of our Mustangs. What was the owner like that you bought it from? What was your car's world like before you put your key in the ignition? Where was your car before it was yours? How many owners did your car have?

Answer any or all of these questions, or mention anything you want about your Mustang before it was yours, here in this thread. An MF Classics peak at history, if you will.

I'll start:

1. I'm the second owner

2. My car was a stock 302 2v Grande driven by a High School teacher in Glendale CA as a short-distance commuter car for work for 22 years. It's always been Winter Blue.

CP
Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I am the 5th owner of my mustang. The POs were very nice and kept the car clean and waxed. They bought it for their 17 year old daughter, who didn't like it so they were selling it. The PO before them obviously didn't care for it at all. When the people I bought it from got it 3 tires blew in the first week and the engine blew up. It is an original 200 I6 car and has mostly original parts.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:49 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I am the third owner of my car. It has been a Detroit car its whole life and has obviously been garaged and taken care of in the winter. When I bought it everything was original on the car down to the wheels except for the paint and stereo. The PO just had a crappy overspray job done by Maaco a month before he decided to sell it. I bought it last year from a guy in Lincoln Park who worked construction where the jobs had dried up and he desperately needed the money. He had the trans and motor rebuilt shortly before selling it too, only 2000 miles on the rebuild and 110k on the car all together.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:03 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

i am the god-only-knows what number owner i am, i feel like im the 3rd though. the PO talked a lot of BS as you guys know from some posts.
the PO of the coupe was very nice and really cool, he was restoring it, but i think the wifey said it had to go.. not sure how many before that though, i know atleast one.

i love this forum, so many people are so good on here and so helpful
Old 12-26-2008, 09:41 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

A lot of you know about my car's history but for those who don't it was bought new in January 1965 by the previous owner who kept it until he sold it to me in August 2007. He kept unbelievable records. Not just the window sticker, but the loan papers, dealer receipt, and a receipt for everything he ever bought for the car. Handwritten records of every oil change, trip diaries, every license plate ever on the car...and on and on. Here is a small sample.
The dealer invoice receipt.
The first two pages out of his oil change/maintenance booklet.
A 1964 road map which I found in the glove compartment.
This was a midwestern car and had it's share of rust and it was faded but I am doing a pretty fair job of bringing it back to it's original glory.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:48 PM
racin66coupe
5th Gear Member

thats awesome HGC
Old 12-26-2008, 09:54 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

He is lucky. I have what is left of the build sheet, and the papers on the engine rebuild.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Joe67
Banned

Well i am the third owner of the car, the first bought it in Washington state and it was towed to upper marlboro maryland for the guy i bought it from to be restored, his name never went on the title, i don't recall why he didn't restore it, he had 6 or 7 model a's military jeeps, all original model t's.
as some of you know,he included a set of NOS bumpers with the car and he mailed me the original owner manual 8 months after i bought the car
Old 12-26-2008, 10:22 PM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Don't know how many owners my has had. It has 263,000 miles. Owner pre-1992 only had the car for a short time until he came across a Fastback. My Uncle bought it for $2500 (virtually no rust, four speed). Was a California / Arizona / Florida / Ohio (stored Winter) car that was built in San Jose. He drove it home 25 miles, no headlights or grill, no insurance, no registration. Did it at 5 am on a Sunday in rural Ohio. My Grandfather (WWII fighter and bomber mechanic) welded on it and did some engine work. Was sold to another Uncle in 2006. Outside for 8 months (ugh). I then bought it in March 2008 for $2600. New carb, and she fired up on the first try, no smoke. Engine was rebuilt and driven minimally before going in storage.

Last edited by lunarweasel; 12-26-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:07 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I'm either the 3rd or 4th owner of my car, but one of those was like a "middle man". I should look at the bill of sale again, I think it was owned by 1 person most of its life, then another guy for like 13 years, then me. Can't be too sure though...

And my car is a M-code mach 1, which is a 351w with a 4 barrel intake and carb. Original color is winter blue with black/red luxury interior. The options were I think special tires, factory tint, power steering, and I think that does it.

I've owned it for about 2 and 1/2 years now and tore the whole thing down, got it painted, and put it back together with fresh or restored parts. Rebuilt engine and transmission as well.

Quick Reply: My Mustang's Former Life...