Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Just thought I'd throw this out there, Who do you let drive you're stang?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Default Just thought I'd throw this out there, Who do you let drive your stang?

Often enough, I get in a conversation about finishing my mustang one day and the wife insists she will be driving it, sometimes joking, but sometimes not. I travel with the job and she comments that she will be driving it while I'm gone. Scary. I also have 4 girls, most pretty young, the oldest turning 14 in April, she wants to drive it someday too.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mind them driving it if I'm around, but while I'm gone, that is a different issue. I plan on installing a kill switch among other theft deterrent components. I'm sure my wife will want to know what and where these are. Damn I'm screwed.

Who do you let drive you're mustangs? And if you do, are you with them or not? Thanks all.

Last edited by zmetalmilitia; 02-01-2009 at 10:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:39 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

This may need to be moved to another section........
Old 02-01-2009, 09:53 AM
chillininnh
2nd Gear Member

Simple........NOONE. I'm glad I'm happily divorced lol.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Maybe you can convince her that it will probably break down regularly and that she won't be able to count on it. That way she wont WANT to drive it, thus getting you off the hook. That's what my dad did with his classic. Worked great.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:08 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I am building mine for my wife. Otherwise I would be ready to sell it off as soon as it is built to buy a new project. I am hesitant however to let my wife drive either of my two trucks. I actually do a walk around them when she comes back to make sure she hasn't damaged them.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I only let people behind the wheel who I absolutely know can handle the car. That's pretty much my best friends and my mom. I've never known a girlfriend/other female friend that has respected the car enough to drive it safely. It's a lot harder to handle a 40yr old car with 320hp, slow manual steering, manual brakes, and no traction than it is to get in and drive a civic. People who think of it as 'just a car' are confined to the passenger seats.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:20 AM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

First of all no one, in fact, I'm picky about who I let look at it!

As for your wife, this has worked for me in the past. Let her drive it with you in the passenger seat (this always makes me nervoious, I don't like anyone driving my car). When she is in a safe area to do this, trip the kill switch and say, "Damn, it does that all the time. I think it is a wiring problem, but I can't seem to track it down."

Get out open the hood, fool around under there for a few minutes and then say. "Okay, try it now (after resetting the switch). Man, I hope this never happens to you when I am not around. Crappy old cars!"

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:26 AM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I like that Mark. I bought it to restore for my wife. I am building it how I want it though. I am a little nervous when she drives because her Toyota has been hit from all sides in the last couple of years so I will be really pi$$ed when the stang gets in an accident.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 AM
lunarweasel
4th Gear Member

Bingo!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:27 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

lol. I'll have to try that one!

Quick Reply: Just thought I'd throw this out there, Who do you let drive you're stang?