Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Big brother?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

Default Big brother?

I personally think this is stupid....if they want to "track mileage" why don't they just have someone note your mileage every year when you get it inspected?

Hope you don't all mind putting a GPS unit on the classics....hope they can at least be reasonably hidden...but I don't personally believe they want just a tally of your mileage for the year with this....as noted you could simply periodically turn in the mileage with independent third party verification.

--------------------------------

Does proposed 'mileage tax' have hidden agenda?
Pete Chagnon - OneNewsNow - 2/23/2009 7:00:00 AMBookmark and Share

freeway trafficA government-spending watchdog says a recently discussed plan for raising tax revenue for America's roads should scare anyone who drives a car.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood recently stated that he would be willing to implement a plan that will tax motorists on the amount of miles driven. Massachusetts lawmakers have considered such a plan, and pilot programs have been implemented in the Northwest United States.

In order to track the mileage, cars will have to be fitted with Global Positioning System (GPS) units. This has prompted fear of a "big brother state," and some critics are calling it Orwellian intrusion. David Williams, vice-president of policy with Citizens Against Government Waste, has similar concerns.

"[I]t looks like this could be a camel's nose under the tent," Williams offers. "You know, this is the first step -- you put a GPS unit in every car to, quote, 'track mileage.' Well, what else is it going to track? And what else are they going to monitor?"

Yet it is consistent with what he sees government desiring these days. "...[I]t gets with the government's obsession with two things: knowing everything about us, and collecting money from us," he says.

But lawmakers have been talking about replacing the gas tax with the mileage tax. OneNewsNow asked Williams if that was a realistic goal.

"Well, if this were to be like the income tax or the tax system, they probably would not get rid of something -- they would just add onto another layer," he states. "Because every time they talk about reforming the tax system...no one really says to get rid of the current tax system. So [I suspect] we would see it as just another layer."

Williams says lawmakers are talking about other tax sources for roads because the current system has been poorly managed. For example, Williams says millions of dollars have been used to plant flowers instead of repair roads and bridges.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
wumarshall82
2nd Gear Member

Obama's administration said that this would not happen for whats it worth

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/...tax/index.html

Last edited by wumarshall82; 02-23-2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

That's good to hear but a friend from the North West wrote a few weeks ago and said this is looking like a very likely deal to her in her area.

Again, seems stupid to me in that you could simply read odometers periodically. Most GPS units I have seen can easily be unplugged or the batteries removed and you could tool around for free so guess if that is the route they want to go with it fine by me. :-)

Whole deal really ticks me off though...I was doing our taxes yesterday and we have to pay somewhere in the neighborhood of $50k in federal taxes for 2008 that were withheld and that does not include payroll taxes but these clowns can't seem to manage the money and always want more.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

this would really tick me off. I use my pick up for work only. to and from work and that is it. I dont get to write it off because I dont have a contractors licence. I use it for carrying tools and equipment and I am afraid of theft when I take it any where. so now they will try to screw me out of more money when I dont even get reimbursed for what I fork out now. I would be one of those people that will have a rig that looks like it never leaves the garage. As for the odometer I know how to unhook that also. I see this as another band aid within the governments road development. I see new roads built and right after they are done with it they need to cut it up to run a pipe they forgot to put in so they patch it and then it is in need of repaving with in a year of construction. We need to get rid of these "smart" people in public office and put people with common sense in their place.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Gun Jam

chill out yall

I fly uavs...uavs take gps to work....gps tracking requires an antenna...GPS antennas dont work if they are upsidedown, don't have power, or some type of mysterious electromagnetic interference somehow finds its way to the finds it way to the ground lead on the ultra-precise crystal oscillator, or they are in a metal box or garage (they don't know which)

They are just going to double our registration fees

-Gun
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

I would think this falls within "unreasonable search and seizure", being more of a fishing expedition than an investigation based on probable cause of wrongdoing.

Norm
Old 02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
WildMustang351
3rd Gear Member

First it's the guns,Now it's your freedom to move about the country at your own free will unmonitored.
See how all this links to fewer and fewer freedoms being slowly taken away from us...
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a load of bull to me its too much money they would never spend that much.Besides we have Satellite's that can read your plate number from space.And how many big interstates have cameras on them now.If they wanted to track you they could now.The mileage the cheapest way would be to make you change to a new speedo and have someone see what it says every year.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
Nabster
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SJs 66coupe
I personally think this is stupid....if they want to "track mileage" why don't they just have someone note your mileage every year when you get it inspected?
No inspections here in Wyoming.

Originally Posted by Gun Jam

They are just going to double our registration fees

-Gun
Then I'd have to pay a whole $54.66 a year instead of $27.33 it's currently costing me.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:39 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

civil disobedience, is what id do if something like this went into affect. i would remove the unit.

deceleration of independence:

That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

Quick Reply: Big brother?