Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Took off the fenders

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 01:52 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Took off the fenders

WELL! I said Yesterday I didn't have tools... Guess what... I FOUND A RATCHET!... And then looking around sitting behind my computer THANK THE CAR GODS!... I FOUND A SOCKET!... The EXACT Size for the Fender bolts... WOOT!

Soo I took off the fenders to see how the metal was doing behind them! AND I was pleasantly surprised that rust was not bad... Just surface! YAY!

Passenger side

DRIVER SIDE

The Yellow wire is a wire put in by one of the P.O. which goes to an electric Fuel Pump... Or I'd assume was a Fuel Pump anyway. Could Just be a thing attached to the fuel line that makes noise

I will say this... one of the P.O.s put bolts in there that are attached to NOTHING But the Metal that they are screwed into... I guess that's the bad thing about buying a classic that's had a few owners... You don't know what they were thinking when they did it...
Old 07-31-2009, 04:04 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats cool, looks to be in good shape.

Yeah, speaking of people doing things like leaving things out. My friend recently got a 65 fastback that is in very good condition. Anyway, somone left off the nuts that go on the trans crossmember bolts.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:13 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Yea... What were some people thinkin?!

And that yellow wire... I wanna re-route it somehow... I guess the good thing about an electric Fuel Pump is I don't have to pump the peddle before I start the car =P Or something like that.
Old 07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
JamesW

Dude..you're gonna have to invest in some tools if you're gonna have a mushog...
Old 07-31-2009, 06:25 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

lol, I know... I plan to... I had a Ratchet set with everything I would of needed for nuts and bolts... But for the life of me I don't remember what happened to it. I think it may have gotten stolen. But Tools are definitely on my list!
Old 07-31-2009, 07:28 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JamesW
Dude..you're gonna have to invest in some tools if you're gonna have a mushog...
Gotta be careful when you find you like working on old cars, it can balloon into something rather unmanageable...

Really though you need more than a 3/8" ratchet and a 1/2" socket... Just dont buy the cheapo stuff, and no need to buy the expensive stuff unless you do this for a living.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:03 PM
Joe1967
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
Gotta be careful when you find you like working on old cars, it can balloon into something rather unmanageable...

Really though you need more than a 3/8" ratchet and a 1/2" socket... Just dont buy the cheapo stuff, and no need to buy the expensive stuff unless you do this for a living.
More tools than car
Old 07-31-2009, 10:03 PM
Gun Jam

yeah I didnt even notice the little tiny cars at first.

BTW looks like im not the only one who is gonna be running new seam sealant beads in the near future..

-Gun
Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Take a look on your local craigslist, I always see tools listed from an estate sale or just a guy cleaning out his garage, if they're decent quality and not rust it's hard to ruin a socket, etc.
Hate to tell you this but you do have a common rust bubble at the rear fender apron top, where the panels overlap, there is a circle of spot welds and water gets in the middle of them and rusts. I though mine was just surface until I ground it down, had to have square patches welded in once I cut all the rust out with a cutting disc.

I thought I could just grind it down and fill it a metal filler but everyone advised me to cut 2 squares out (it's an overlapping piece) and do it right the first time otherwise it'll rust again from the inside out. I'll be using seam sealer all around this area this time since the water gets in and can't get out anyway, I'd rather lessen the chance of it getting in in the first place.
Jon
Old 07-31-2009, 11:53 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

Looks better than mine did. One of my coil spring covers was rotted out at the bottom so I replaced both of them. I would be interested in seeing pics of what the inside of the fenders looked like.
As far as tools...hammers. Get a big hammer from Lowes and then go to Advance Auto Parts or someplace and buy the cheap $20 set of body hammers and dollies, even if you're not planning on doing any body work. You're gonna need to hit a lot of stuff. My repop coil spring covers were nice and heavy but didn't fit well until I adjusted them some with my hammer. It's also cool because it makes lots of noise when you bang on metal with a hammer. It scares kids and drives away the birds and dogs start barking. Fun stuff!

Quick Reply: Took off the fenders