Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Question about Coupe to Fastback Conversion and Registration

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about Coupe to Fastback Conversion and Registration

Ok... So The Vin would say it's a coupe. But when the conversion is done, it looks like a fastback...

With the Registration people that actually INSPECT your car and look at these things. What do you tell them? How would you show that it's a conversion?...

Or do they even look that deep into it and just say "HEY COOL A MUSTANG! Nice Car!"?

You guys understand what i'm asking?
Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Registration people? You mean the state DMV? They never even saw my car. They only process the title, registration, and taxes. The only thing they care about it the sale price and VIN. The state inspection people look at the car, but they do not check the title. They only look for safety and emissions stuff. I think you are fine. Now a potential buyer should be notified of the mod.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:18 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

that's what I was curious about... I looked at my title and it only said 1968 Mustang and up top it said "Classic" No Coupe or Fastback...

Theoretically One could go to a salvage yard get a fastback body with no title, switch all the stuff around *Door and dash vin* and use a coupe title or any other title you have if you have the vin plate and be on your merry way... *If you plan to keep the car and not sale it* and no one would be the wiser... Theoretically speaking, if they are that laxed about it...
Old 08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Yep...that is basically how the re-pop bodies are being handled from Dynacorn. Put a car together and just put a VIN from an original car on it. Presto you have a new metal classic car...sort of.
Old 08-05-2009, 01:31 PM
fakesnakes
4th Gear Member

Not an issue.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:48 PM
68MustangCoupe
2nd Gear Member

Well hell! All I have to do then is find a Fast back body in a salvageyard =P lmao. *shrugs* Probably never find one though.... Kind of makes you wonder why people just don't do that, instead of wasting money doing the conversion in the first place...
Old 08-08-2009, 02:29 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Most don't care as long as its a clean vin.Only if you sell it the buyer might not like it but that is all i can think of.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:07 PM
remicks
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
Yep...that is basically how the re-pop bodies are being handled from Dynacorn. Put a car together and just put a VIN from an original car on it. Presto you have a new metal classic car...sort of.
Some states you don't have to do that. I know Michigan will let you register and title the new Dynacorn body with the manufacturer number so you don't have to harvest an old VIN.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:10 PM
jonward786
3rd Gear Member

lol neither the DMV nor my insurance company (USAA) have ever seen my car either. and i doubt they care much whether its a fastback or coupe, because all 2 door cars are coupes in their eyes, and all 4 door cars are sedans.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:32 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Remicks its called a state issued vin its what they do for kit cars.My friends dynacorn camaro body has a firebird vin and its legal.On insurance they only care if it seats 2 or 4 2 its a sports car 4 is a family car to them.

Quick Reply: Question about Coupe to Fastback Conversion and Registration