Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

'66 GT350--what to look for to make sure it's legit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 AM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Default '66 GT350--what to look for to make sure it's legit?

I got a call from my brother-in-law yesterday and he was telling me about how one of his friends found an old lady whose husband had recently died. He owned a convertible 'vette (not sure which year) and the friend wants it. However, he also owned a '66 GT350.

Both vehicles run and are in pretty decent condition, from what I've been told. I haven't seen any pictures just yet.

His friend has no interest in the GT350 (he can't afford both cars) and the lady is only willing to sell both cars as a pair, for $20,000. If these cars are legitimate, she has no idea what she's sitting on.

Obviously, I'll be dumping $10,000 on the GT350 if it's for real. Supposedly the VIN has checked out but I won't know until I can verify it for myself.

What are some of the key things I should look for on this car to make sure it's the real deal?

My brother in law said it's white with blue stripes, has blue interior, a HiPo 289 and a 4spd automatic transmission. I know the GT350s from 1966 all had black interior, so that worries me a little bit, but it's not unreasonable that the interior could have just been replaced at some point. The data plate should tell the real story.

Any advice? If this is ends up just being a GT350 clone, is it still a reasonable buy, if it's in decent condition? I've been told that it runs just fine and looks decent (again, I haven't seen pictures just yet).

Thanks,
-Jordan
Old 08-30-2009, 09:45 AM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

Either way it would be a good buy. You are right though, interiors only came in black.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 AM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

If this is legitimate, all I can say is..Wow. If it's just a 2+2 GT350 clone, I suppose it's still not bad for $10,000 if it's decent.

Ugh, the anticipation is killing me!
Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by KSUWildcatFan
4spd automatic transmission.
I'm assuming you mean manual, but if it is an automatic, then it is NOT a GT350.
Take the VIN and run it through the Shelby registry, that is the best way to see if it is legit or not.

Lynn
Old 08-30-2009, 01:12 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

I have no idea. I have yet to see it, but I'm told the VIN checks out. I guess the other car is a '67 convertible vette with a 427.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Being a 66, it could possible be a re-painted GT350H, then it would be an automatic. Not a 4 speed automatic though.
Originally Posted by LynnBob Mustang
I'm assuming you mean manual, but if it is an automatic, then it is NOT a GT350.
Take the VIN and run it through the Shelby registry, that is the best way to see if it is legit or not.

Lynn
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

PM me with the VIN and I can tell you what the registry has to say. The early cars are VERY easy to try to pass off as a real ones, course the numbers will usually tell. Let me know.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:33 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

When I get ahold of the VIN number, I'll give you a PM. I'm kind of working through a friend on this, so we'll see. I've been told that I don't have to worry about the deal falling through, but idk.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:36 PM
KSUWildcatFan
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by valley firearms
Being a 66, it could possible be a re-painted GT350H, then it would be an automatic. Not a 4 speed automatic though.
I'm not sure why I said automatic. I really don't know. I remember my brother-in-law saying "4spd", but I don't know if he ever said "automatic".

Again, I'm going off word from a 3rd party and he hasn't even seen it in person. I'm waiting for a more detailed email from the seller. :>
Old 08-30-2009, 05:35 PM
ThongsareSweet
1st Gear Member

4 on the floor, sounds like a manual to me. Let us know the VIN number and we can help you decode it!

Quick Reply: '66 GT350--what to look for to make sure it's legit?