Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Is soda blasting the best media to use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Cur1ousG

Default Is soda blasting the best media to use?

My body and frame look to have little rust so I thought soda would be a good choice (as it works on paint and not rust). I figured I could use something else to take care of the rust after the blasting was done.

However I've heard these cons against soda:

(1) gets everywhere and very/very hard to clean out of car
(2) Causes major issues with primers and paints post-blasting as the primers and paint won't stick to soda blasted metal due to film the process leaves?

So my questoin is in your opinion what is the best media to use when blasting a car that "seems" to have very little rust (and if you can list the cons for the choice you list, as we all know there isn't a perfect solution out there)
Old 11-09-2009, 12:10 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Sand it down with a DA and 80 grit. You can also sand it down after being soda blasted so the primer will stick a bit better. You have to rough the surface a bit to give the primer something to bite into.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:11 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Yes, it is very hard to get cleaned out and yes, it does leave a film. The way to get rid of the film is to pressure wash the car with a solution of vinegar and water to neutralize the soda film. As for cleaning it out, good luck. Maybe an air blower and a shop vac?
Old 11-09-2009, 01:30 AM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

I had my car media blasted, I forget which sand was used though. It was great, took out all the rust, all the filler, primer, and layers of paint. There is still some sand in a few places of the car I'm sure but if the whole car is stripped then it shouldn't be a problem.

People seem to hype up soda blasting way too much. From what I know the material is very expensive and it takes much longer to soda blast a car than to give it a typical media blast. Sure, it is a lot softer on the car (hence why it doesn't take away rust), but if the person knows what they are doing there is no problems associated with "sandblasting." Both me and another member on here had our cars sandblasted at the same place (at the same time) and there was no issues associated with it, the whole car was roughly 500 bucks or so if I remember right.

I also sandblasted my engine bay myself a year or so early to having the whole car done, no issues there and it created a nice surface for paint adhesion, and now it still looks great three years later.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:13 AM
JDraper
2nd Gear Member

Walnut shell blasting is another way to do. Easier to clean up and more environmentally friendly. Works very well.