Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Welding

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Trigg
3rd Gear Member

Default Welding

Hows it going fellas its been awhile since iv been on. The suck has been keeping me busy.

Iv found myself seeking some advice on welding. Iv got about 4 soft ball size holes I need to patch in the 67 and I believe the rear lowers need to be replaced cause Iv noticed bondo has started flaking off. Im thinking either a Mig or Tig. I cant really afford a Acetylene torch and I dont know much about a wire feed so give me yalls input on what yall have been or have used and what works best.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:23 PM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

Mig and tig both work fine for body work. Tig a cleaner looking weld and can weld thinner metals than mig but there are way more expensive machines. A mig will work fine for what you want to do.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:27 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I'm using a Lincoln Electric 180 240watt wire feed welder. It's a big setup (probably bigger than I'll ever need) but my old man bought it so I can use it on the stang and he can use it on farm equipment. Heck, I might even make a nice bumper/bull bar for my truck.

Anyways, it can mig weld which I will be doing shortly on metal body work. Should be quite the adventure for me, but hopefully with practice all will go well.

Do you already have a welder? If not, I recommend either a Lincoln or Hobart welder, those seem to be the best in my opinion.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:55 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I got a Hobart 140 mig handler welder.

I've never welded in my life until now. So far I have repaired my trunk hole, floor pans in the front, fixed some poor broken factory spot welds, and I'm installing a torque box in the '65.
I had a little training on it, but it is best just to dive right in. It is not coming out too bad and I notice I'm getting better as I go along.
Lynn
Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Tig is the better way, but mig is easier to master, I have a little tig, and I have gotten better with thicker material, but I need lots more practice with the tig for sheet metal.

I have a theory that folks with good handwriting make better tig welders, but that leaves me in the cold...

The fact that you are asking the question to me says "buy a mig", get a Miller if it is in your budget, the 180 Autoset I have will work on 120V or 240V.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:14 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

You can't gas weld body work. Too much heat input, which will easily warp body panels.

Anyone can MIG with a little practice, and the machines aren't really all that expensive. I'm a fan of Millers myself. That 180 Autoset previously mentioned seems to work pretty well.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Mig w/ shielding gas works for me.

Be prepared for flying moltant slag and fires.

It will warp panels if you don't allow them to cool frequently.

Should weld on shinny clean metal; weld thru primer ok.

I like to weld entire seam.

Stiff wire wheel on grinder very useful for cleaning metal; don't forget eye protection.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM
98redstang
5th Gear Member

honestly ive seen a lot of people just tack the pieces with some spot welds with the mig and than just use bondo for the rest so you dont warp the piece. If you know what your doing you shouldnt have a problem with warping though
Old 10-29-2010, 10:26 AM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have seen paint pop loose on a large panel w/ stitch welds and about 1 inch gaps. I believe the panel flexed under load.

I am interested to learn the minimum amount of welding for a patch/panel.

It is a real pain to weld seam 100%. Once your weld starts flowing nice you must quit for cooling.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Trigg
3rd Gear Member

I appreciate the input on this fellas. I probably wont tackle the rear fenders myself probably have a shop replace them or let me uncle do it.

I have found these two welders, Price is a little different between the two but within my budget. Which one would yall pick do you have a better welder for $200 or lower in mind. Or should I dish some more money out?

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-94164.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-97719.html

Last edited by Trigg; 10-29-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Quick Reply: Welding